Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smurfymurphy, Jan 14, 2014.

1. smurfymurphy

smurfymurphy New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    One of my chickens looks sick this morning. She is 3 years old and has not laid an egg for over 3 months now and up to this last day or so she does not look well. Her tail is down and is not eating. Also she keeps on closing her eyes. Can someone help please? I only have two hens and the other one is fine. Thank you.

2. lismarc

lismarc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Southern Maryland
    hhmmm. could be number of different things. I don't know where you are but, maybe she stopped laying initially because of the short days.? Maybe egg bound?? Feel her vent with one hand on both sides? Is it hard, like an egg is stuck in there? Is her poop watery/runny? Is she eating and drinking? If not, that alone could kill her. Give her water with vitamins. Sometimes, I use pedealyte (in the human baby isle). Honey has natural anibiotics in it. Make some scrambled eggs with honey and yogurt on top. MAKE HER EAT AND DRINK.

I'm sorry your girl is sick. It breaks our hearts when our babies ill.

Hope that helps some.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Could be a lot of things. You need to give her an overall examination, starting with the head and working to the tail. You are looking for signs of illness, which can include....swollen watery eyes, runny nose, raspy breathing, pale comb, mites or bugs in which the skin will be red or irritated, squishy or hard crop, (right side of the breast) heavy water filled abdomen, egg stuck in the vent, swollen red vent, diarrhea, just to name a few things. If you have an empty syringe, without the needle, you can slowly syringe water down her beak. Do this VERY slowly, only dribbling it in on the front of the tongue so it does not go down into the lungs.

You might give her a good looking over and even some pics if you feel necessary and post this question in the emergency section here on BYC. Someone should be able to help you figure out what is ailing your hen....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

So sorry about your hen.

4. And I hope your hen is alright! [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen, X2 on TwoCrows advice to post on the Emergencies board about her.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Put on gloves with lubricant and do a cloacal exam,you are feeling for a egg(egg bound) or a broken egg. If you do feel a "stuck egg" soak her in warm water,this will relax her,you can also give her a calcium tablet or liquid calcium or tums tablet,this will help pass egg. If you feel a broken shell,very carefully try and remove,but go slow and gentle as shell may rupture/cut internal tissue. Keep her quiet,warm and in a dark area. Has she been able to poop? If she is egg bound,their poop is usually watery or nonexistent as the egg binding interferes with the ability to poop. This is a serious condition and must be acted upon immediately.

Check her for crop issues as in an impact,if she has not been eating is her crop empty or full?

7. smurfymurphy

smurfymurphy New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Hi Everyone

I have checked everything and cannot find anything unusual. I have been out this afternoon and when I came back in I went straight to the coop and found her on the floor [still alive!!]. I gave her another examination and held her upside down and water came gushing out of her beak, she is very lethargic she is in her nest at the moment and I am going out soon to check her again. I can't see her being egg bound as I think as she has not laid any for approx 3/4 months she will not lay any more. We have a light in the nesting area which is left on all night as I know the light can affect laying but this does not seem to be the case. Personally I think she may be better off in her nest with the other one rather than bring her in as she will be more comfortable. I don't think what she has is contagious. If I remember last year I lost a bird with exactly the same symptons and just put it to her age. I am at my wits end as vets do not know about hens [very few only] so I can't see the point of taking her. What do I do next? Thank you.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright and [​IMG] great to have you onboard [​IMG]

I might suggest putting some Electrolyte & Probiotic in her water [​IMG]

Do to the fact that I do not know what she is eating I will suggest some meal worms in the diet and for now a couple of hardboiled egg's peeled and mashed with a fork and served this is just to give her some energy for right now ,,,,, is she getting any turkey grow with 20% or more protein ??????

Please keep us updated on health [​IMG]

If you would like lot's of feed back you might want to list in the emergency's Trend [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If she is really weak and not standing, she may be near death. Usually a crop full of fluid along with not standing, eyes closed, not eating or drinking and exhaustion, happens toward the end of their lives. You can lean her forward for very short periods of time (2 seconds, no more) over the next day or so to help empty the crop and you might bring her inside and use a brooding lamp on her to keep her warm. All this to keep her comfortable. But it doesn't sound good for her. I am so sorry.

Keep us posted on her condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by