1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mpgo4th, Feb 24, 2014.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm on day 16 of my first hatch. I can home from work to find the lid of the bator cracked open slightly. The humidity had dropped from 55 to 30 but the temp was still fine. Did I do any damage? Also do you turn on day 18 in the morning then lock down or do your last turn the night of the 17th? Thanks.

2. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    55 on humidity is kind of high? I keep mine at close to 30, of course I am doing the dry hatch method. Then I will up it at day 18. I am on day 16 also. Have you checked air cells to see if they are growing in size? To high humidity will cause drowning of the chicks upon hatch because not enough fluid will have evaporated. Candle and check for movement but I am thinking they should be fine if the temp was still good.

However, I would candle and check air cells to be sure they are where they should be for day 16.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by