Please help

joshbparker

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Winton, North Carolina
I am getting a new chicken coop for non silkies and I am getting another rooster. The thing is I am getting the rooster from my friend and if I don't go ahead and get it they are going to kill him. The rooster I am getting is a silkie mix and he is 4 to 5 months old. Can I put hime with my four silkie hens and the full blooded silkie rooster until or do I need to keep him separate. Please help!!!

Your new young cockrel will have a tough time blending into such a small group with an adult cock. If you are going to try this at all, be very slow and careful with introductions. Also, think hard about disease issues introducing a bird from another flock, unless you and your friend have birds from the same sources only. I'd recommend passing on this cockrel if it were me. Mary

I am getting a new chicken coop for non silkies and I am getting another rooster. The thing is I am getting the rooster from my friend and if I don't go ahead and get it they are going to kill him. The rooster I am getting is a silkie mix and he is 4 to 5 months old. Can I put hime with my four silkie hens and the full blooded silkie rooster until or do I need to keep him separate. Please help!!!
You can do this but you may have to keep him alone or with his own small flock of females and may never be able to integrate your existing birds with them. Two cocks are going to fight if for no other reason to determine dominance. I had two and had to dispose of one of them because he almost killed the other. The one I kept is gimpy now and will be for the rest of his life. He hides from the other cock even though he is long gone. Introducing new hens to a flock is hard enough and unless you have a lot of room and the ability to manage more than one flock I would advise against getting your friends rooster.

Well I am getting a separate coop with standard sized hens and I like to keep one rooster. I am not planning to put the silkies with the standard flock. Can he stay by himself just for a short period so I can get the coop and new girls.

Last edited:
Well I am getting a separate coop with standard sized hens and I like to keep one rooster. I am not planning to put the silkies with the standard flock. Can he stay by himself just for a short period so I can get the coop and new girls.
Yes. However get your girls as soon as you can. He is going to be more miserable if he is alone and can see and hear other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom