please help!!

I just feel so bad for him/. I didnt think about the impaired vision, he does have a pretty full mop on his head :)
I will try seperating him with the weaker hens. I appreciate the suggestion, But they will have to all sleep together, we have only one coop.

on a side note, i was very proud of my daughter (age 7) when she commented that it wasnt nice of the hens to pick on him just because he looked different.

And that is part of the problem. Not only is he new, he looks a lot different. It really would be best to fence off part of the run for him or make a fenced area for him where he can be out next to them during the day but separated by a fence. At night you could put him in the coop in a dog crate. You just don't want this to turn into a bad situation where things get ugly when you are not around to put a stop to it. It can happen very easily, chickens hate newcomers and they can be brutal. Back in the day when I would actually attempt integrating a single new bird this is what I would do for a couple of weeks at the least. Sometimes it took longer. These days I will no longer integrate a single new bird, to much hassle and headache.

This time around, I am integrating seven newbies with 3 oldies. The oldies are at the top of the pecking order, but after a week, they all range and roost together with only an occasional squabble. If your rooster is younger than the hens, they'll be mean to him for that reason too. They always feel like a new rooster must be taught who is boss - and it isn't him!

Back
Top Bottom