Please I need help ASAP, guineas are way early!!!! Update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by giasmom, Jun 13, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Today is day 24, I just went into turn (by hand) and 1 egg is pipped (a small triangular shape out of the egg) & six more eggs are cracked ( about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch long). What is going on here???? Is this something else or are they actually hatching this early? I know for a fact that this is day 24 !!! Should I stop turning now ??? Help, any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I haven't even upped the humidity yet.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. karen71

karen71 Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I don't really know so hopefully this will get you seen and answered by an expert .

3. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Please someone ! I need to know what I need to do. I've never had a hatch like this. i see the one moving inside there, will they have enough moisture to get out???

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  4. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I apologize for bumping my own thread, I seriously need to know what to do about this.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had one of mine hatch overnight, they weren't due till Monday. It doesn't seem to be having any trouble, so I'm not going to worry about it.

It's funny, cause you are not the first person I've seen posting about this today!! I wonder what the deal is? I had chukars that hatched 2 days late, and pheasant that also hatched 2 days late, then this guinea that is 3 days early!! Must be something in the air!

Oh, and you should definitely stop turning and up the humidity. I had to move mine to the hatcher real fast!! Obviously they are hatching, or they wouldn't be pipped. They just don't know they are early, or just don't care [​IMG]

6. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Thanks Shelley. Should I spray them with some water or something. I don't know how long they have been like this. They were all just fine when I left for the swap this morning at 5am, then I come home at 5 pm and find this.

7. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Early is much better than late. Is it possible they were set on by the mother a few days before they were put in the incubator? It sounds like you are in good shape. Keep the sprayed with warm water and enjoy it.

8. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Danny, These eggs were given to me and some were 3 days & some were 6 days when I got them Then I let them sit for a day before putting them in the bator.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wouldn't spray them, just put a wet sheet of paper towel inside the incubator, that will help the humidity rise faster. My one that hatched overnight didn't get any special treatment. On the other hand, the pipped pheasant egg that was in the hatcher when I put the guineas eggs in got to get helped out of the shell, it was all dried and sticking to the poor thing where the original pip was.

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I would up the humidity with either a sponge or wet paper towels then don't open the incubator again.

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: