Please, I need some advice badly...

Terry71

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
Whitby, Ontario Canada
I have what I think is a Barred Cochin bantam. She is eight months old. Two weeks ago, I got five new hens and a rooster. All around her age or a little younger. They are in separate coops. This morning, I brought Chikkie(barred cochin)
in to see them. At first I just held her in my arms for about five minutes. Then I let her down. The hens just kind of stood there but the rooster immediatley jumped on her back and pinned her down. I kicked(nicely) the rooster off her. What do you think? Was he attacking her or trying to mate? What should I do. I don't want Chikkie to get hurt.

Thanks,

Terry

I think he thought she was preeetttyyyy!
smile.png

he was trying to breed her. just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't overdo it. you'll know if he is if her feathers on her back start wearing off.

He is going to prove that he is dominant by mating her. As long as he is not hurting her I would let it happen. I know it is hard to see, but this is how a new member is brought into the flock.

Matt

i agree with Vcomb. he was trying to mate her to 'claim' her into his flock and to show his dominance.

unless he is over breeding her, let it go. if he does, get her a saddle to protect her feathers and skin.

enjoy your new chicken.

I agree with the fact that he was trying to breed, yet sounds like an agressive act if in front of you, and you should remove his body from the top of hers. Basically so that the roo- or any roo realizes these are YOUR girls, yes, he will protect them but still you are the alpha in the group.
Good luck, keep an eye out that they don't beat her up, pecking order. Also, if you separate her, put her in a area where they see her, bantams can be rough and persistant, but take it from me...you be persistant and it will work out!

Quote:
I agree. If he tries this in front of you, I'd go and knock him off again. Remind him to hold his tongue. You're the boss and he'll be able to mate when he's not in your presence. Just kindly knock him off, espcially if he mounts harshely again. That would be him trying to prove the point that he owns her, and he can own her. Just not you.

I assume your roo is also a bantam??

I personally am not a big fan of standard roos over bantam hens, but I know some folks don't give it a thought. That face-in-the-dirt thing just doesn't seem so pleasant for those bantam gals.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom