Please look and tell me if these are hens or roos!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5parkers, Apr 6, 2009.

1. 5parkers

5parkers New Egg

Jul 15, 2007
    Newnan, Ga
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HI! I live in a quiet subdivision and DEFINATELY can not have roos! I ordered chicks before, all pullets, and ended up with 2 roos. Now I have a new batch from a local farmer and they are supposed to be all hens. There is one RIR and one Buff O in question. You can probably tell which two I'm talking about by looking at the pics. Their combs are much more prodominant then the others, and they squabble with each other quite a bit- bumping each other's chests. The farmer told me he usually sexes them very accurately, but if he is wrong I can bring them back and switch them out. I just want to make sure before they get much older. They are about 6 weeks old right now. Thanks so much for your advice!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would be suspicious they are roos, too, but I wonder whether there is any way to be certain yet.

I wonder if it is too early to tell by pointed saddle feathers; you might check that out. Or even/uneven flight feathers -- if you spread the wing open and they are uneven it is supposed to be female; even, male. Mine are 6 weeks and I can see the even/uneven flight feathers clearly. The ones with larger/redder combs also have even looking flight feathers. Remains to be seen whether this will prove to be correct, of course.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    They both look like roos to me :-( better trade em quick

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Sexing birds by their feathering, I believe, is only accurate when certain birds are bred, not all birds. It is also only accurate for the first couple days of life. After that, it is just coincidence.

I would want to see larger pictures of the birds in question to say for sure, but they could be roos.

Edited to add: I clicked on the pictures to make them bigger (duh [​IMG] ). Those two do look like roos at this point, but if it were me, I would wait a bit longer to make sure.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey there,

Sorry, but they look like little roos to me too.
    But they look real nice tho!

Bill.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Those two are definitely roos - besides the large combs, they also have developed wattles.

7. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I'm no expert but I'd say they are probably roos given that their combs an wattles are so much larger than the others of the same age.

8. 5parkers

5parkers New Egg

Jul 15, 2007
    Newnan, Ga
    Thanks so much everyone!
    I traded them out just to make sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by