Please look at coop pics need insulation ideas today!!!

amijab

Songster
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
I just purchased a coop with 6 mo. old laying hens last night. I think it needs some sort of insulation. Is there something I can do for the hens by tonight? I live in Utah and it is cold right now. The coop is plywood. It has eight foot long lights running on the ceiling of the coop. It has eight foot vents on both sides of the top. It has another 2 inch opening running mid section of the coop. Seems like it would let in too much cold and there is not insulation. I don't know what to do. Here are the pics of the coop.

114835_imag0654.jpg

114835_imag0653.jpg

114835_imag0652.jpg

114835_imag0650.jpg

I would leave the top vents way up at the ridge line alone.
That lower open space, the one just lower than the roosts, I would block them off closed for the winter.
but that's just me.

You might want to try reading this thread....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122

While the subject is about chickens not needing heat lamps, there is much information in there on what chickens do need.
I know you said you are in Utah, so that is why I don't think your coop should have that open space just under the roosts, too much draft.
But that topmost hardware cloth opening is good.

You probably don't need to insulate the coop with 17 chickens in there, chickens bodies produce a lot of heat. And as long as there isn't a breeze wisking their heat away they do well.

I would also say to close up that lower gap and I may be concerned about how big that opening is-is it large enough for some kind of predator to get in? I would not insulate and not use any heat lamps. Where I am it gets into the - temps at night frequently and do not use any heat. 1st if the chickens get used to that extra warmth they may not be as likely to go outside when it's cold, 2nd if the power goes out they will get chilled and 3rd fire-scares me the most. Without the drafts under their feathers they will be quite warm enough. Good luck and post some pics of your new birds!

Close the sides up, Also lots of deep litter. Later on if you can I would paint it good , and then this spring add insulation between ply wood sheets. Heat is not necessary if you have insulation, and yes they do get cold with an un insulated coop . Nice looking coop, just not sure why they left that long strip open on the sides. I love venting but man that's a lot of ventilation lol, Utah like Montana gets cold cold!

I've seen posts where people have stacked bales of hay or straw on the windy side of the coop (0n the outside of the coop). I also read an article and saw pictures several months ago of a lady in Maine who had a hoop coop that only had a tarp cover. In the winter she made a square of hay bales (they were stacked 2 or 3 bails high) situated in the middle of the hoop coop with enough room in the middle of the square for the flock (seems like she had 6-10 chickens). she would add hay at the bottom to cover the poops which gave off some compost heat.. I don't think she had a perch in there. I either saw it surfing the internet or in one of those Mother Earth or Urban Farm magazines.

When it's cold, it's cold! Many of us need to feel our animals are at least semi-comfortable, not just surviving. Good luck with your chickens this winter!

Last edited:
I would not worry to much about insulation as long as they are a cold hearty breed. Here at my place yesterday I had a temp. of 2* in my coop and a wind chill outside of 8 below zero and my RIR's were as perky as ever inside their uninsulated coop. Their tough little creatures.

Hens, not chicks, right? Yes, please close that bottom vent off (they'll want to roost in the rafters and the side vents would blow across them.) Scatter 3 + inches of pine or aspen shavings on the floor...water and feed can either be suspended from the rafters to the hen's shoulder height or elevated slightly above the shavings on a platform...They'll poop in their water and feed if they roost over them and kick shavings into them if put right on the shavings so place the feed and water accordingly.
If they will be staying locked up in the coop for some days I'd suspend a head of broccoli, half a cabbage or large kale or collard leaves from one of the rafters for them to play..."eat the vollyball". They have active brains that crave stimulation.
Consider moveable nest boxes...I've seen some made from 5 gal. buckets turned on their side...you don't need one box per hen as they tend to share.
Start building their enclosed yard utilizing the space under the coop immediately...my 11 week old bantys spent all yesterday in their enclosed yard although it never got above 19 degrees. (their coop isn't insulated either) But when the wind gets above 15 mph they scoot into the coop as a wind break.

Back
Top Bottom