Please make a guess (silkies) boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by twix1234, Sep 11, 2010.

1. twix1234

twix1234 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    White silkie Togo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black silkie 1 Cookie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black silkie 2 Cream

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Its really hard to tell until they start to lay or crow, although sometimes you can tell by the way the comb looks. The roosters have a lumpy bumpy kind of ugly comb and the hens comb looks more smooth with some wrinkles in it some times. The last black one sort of looks like a roo but i could be totaly wrong. Hope this helps a little

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I think the two black ones are roo's going by the tail feathers [​IMG]

4. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Im not trying to prove you wrong but my silkie hens tails looks just like that.

5. twix1234

twix1234 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    All of them doesn't have a comb or wattle. They are 14 weeks old. The last black one act more like a hen. The white silkie act more like a roo. The first black silkie is hard to tell. Please give me more guesses. Thanks:D

6. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Try listening to the sounds they make, the more deeper crackly voices the more likley its a roo

7. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:i disagree with this...
    my silkie roo makes a very beautiful and girly "bok bok bok" noise. much better than lal of my screetching hens! i was thinking your white is roo and your blacks are hens, but idk...its too soon to tell...

8. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

It's really hard to guess right now but my guess is both hens. But I could be wrong

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I think the feathers on the heads is what makes my Silkies different (roo vs. hen) right now. So that is what I'm looking at when I guess:

#1-roo
    #2- hen.

The feathers on top of my hens' heads are more ball-like. The roos have feathers that stream out the back a little.

Oh- just wanted to say that only one of my silkies is crowing, so all the rest is guesswork!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How old are they? That would help (sorry if you answered this somewhere and I missed it)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by