Please... Please... Tell Me. Could Gideon & Abigail Be Ready?????

Truffle

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
I have a pair of 6 month old Chinese....is it POSSIBLE for them to be mature enough for mating and therefore the eggs be fertile?

I've watched them many times...they climb all over each other until Gideon gets it right. It sure looks like he's connecting. After-wards, he just throws his wings back and honks his head off! The last few days I noticed little feathers all mixed in the hay Abigail is sitting on. She doesn't even get up when I walk near her to change their water. Today, I reached under her and took the egg she was sitting on. I don't want any babies just yet.
jumpy.gif
.it's way too cold up here in northern NY. Now this is my first pair of geese and I am clueless...is it possible for them to behave in this way and still not not be mature and the eggs not be fertile? Thanks so much for any input!
smile.png

To tell you the truth I've never had anything hatch before....so I would not know what to look for...sorry...I need some help here! thanks so much!!!!
smile.png

i was thinking about getting apair. he may not be ready yet but i'm sure as soon as it warms up a little he should be good to go. but my not sure. how is their personilty? is the male nice?

Hi all,
frow.gif
thanks for the replies. I haven't seen any markings in the yolks as yet. so I guess they are not fertile. And as far as the males temperament...he will grab my loose clothing if he can and flap his wings, but nothing too serious that I can't handle. I guess from what I've read, he may get REALLY mean. Today is the 3rd day Abigail won't eat as she is still sitting in the nest she made. The fresh kale and chopped apples I put out for them hasn't been touched. Why won't the male eat?
idunno.gif
I don't understand his behavior. Maybe someone can explain this. Thanks....Holly

Sounds like your gander is getting the job done
with the classic, post breeding trumpeting and displaying.
Your goose is broody if she's not getting off the nest.
You could try to break her up by removing
the nesting material and throwing her outside everyday.
She won't lay eggs if shes broody.
Remove her eggs daily to encourage continued egg production.
Typically my previous years crop of young geese
(around 9 - 10 months old) are fertile and breeding by mid - late Feb.
if you have an incubator you could test fro fertility by incubating the eggs
and candling them at 7 - 10 days. You will see veins if they're fertile.
Make sure to provide your goose with oyster shells now thats shes laying.
Happy 2011 Breeding Season!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom