PLEASE, PLEASE tell me how to get her un-broody!!!!

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
I have a hen who has been broody for over a month now. The other chickens lay in the other boxes but it is getting annoying-how can I get her normal again and out of her brood????

I have one now who is broody. I took her out of the nest today and put her in a wire dog kennel that is raised off the floor on bricks. I'll keep her in here for 4 days and see if it breaks her. I read on here to do this. It said to raise it up to get air flow under her butt. Why, I don't really know but I'll see if this works.
Good Luck!

I just pick my broodies up every time I go out and "encourage" them to go out into the run. After a few days of this, they usually get fed up and stop being broody.

I have one on a nest with ten eggs and four more wanted to go broody on me...yikes...I pulled them out if the chicken run and they are in one of the dog kennel runs...a roost...a house with NO nesting materials...they ain't happy but in a few days I will put them back with the rest...

Broody hens are tough nuts to crack sometimes. I had one this spring and summer that I broke using the wire cage method several times. She would be fine for a few weeks then back to being broody. She finally seemed to break out of her broody thing on her own about a month ago. I think the only reason she stopped being broody was because she was ready to molt. So now she is not broody anymore, but because she's molting I'm STILL not getting any eggs from her.
roll.png

Quote:
ladybug.gif
I always WANT at least ONE like this! I love having a hen to do the hatching and am totally willing to do without some eggs so I have a living incubator that doesn't depend on electricity and thermometers to raise chickies!!!

But yeah, too many aren't great either! Those who advised to seperate in a dog crate or other small pen with no nesting material and some feed and water are right, shooing her out of the nest MIGHT work if she's not dead set on setting, but not too often. Good luck!

OMG I have had so many broodies this summer it's not funny. The cage system works for me. They don't like it, but it works. I've had most of my girls go broody twice this summer, and only two who did not at all. I've hatched around 45 chicks under them , but I run out of space to separate all the girls.

My mother used to dunk the broodies in water. That seemed to do the trick.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom