Please post Pictures of your BUFF ROCKS

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I have to BR hens and am considering adding 2 Buff Rocks but would like to see pictures of them PLEASE!!!!!

Also how was the buff rock developed, is it pur plymouth Rock or mixed with something else to get the buff color?

Good luck getting pics, There are so few people that have them, and if you want good ones, you should get them from a breeder. I'm sure they were crossed to get the color, but they are now bred to the Plymouth Rocks standard and are techically pure Rocks if you get them from someone who breeds to the standard.

Buff Rocks were originally a combination of White Rocks and Buff Cochins,some lines had a dash of Rhode Island Red.The Buff color looks great on Buff Rocks,the red earlobe and yellow legs,beak and skin compliment each other.When you get the tighter feather,stature and skeletal framework,they are both impressive and huge.Most of todays Buff Rocks are hatchery stock and too small,short, too loose feathered/fluffy,and too light in buff color.They lack the breast muscle,stature and frame,so are not as good as formerly for meat.

I want them for eggs, are they a good a layer as the barred rocks?

Also what are their "personalities" like? Are they similar to the BRs?

I am looking for quiet, friendly, pretty egg layers.

HBueler raises them. Maybe she'll see this and post some pics
big_smile.png

Well, here's my little family of buff rocks. My first set of eggs from them will go into the bator next week to start the next generation. They are very doscile, the only aggression I have seen was the roo got into a tift with my one of my orp roos. They look forward to you talking to them and giving them treats everyday. The rooster is really good to his ladies and they are great layers too!

I am attaching some pictures. I just love the color of the hens, that creamy body is my favorite. My rooster does have some comb and feather damage from his recent tift with that orp roo, but he still looks pretty good I think.
big_smile.png
I am new to buff rocks so I don't know how they compare to others???

49849_dsc02825.jpg

49849_dsc02834.jpg

49849_dsc02835.jpg

Sorry I know the hens are not looking up, this is the position they were in everytime I tried to take a picture. I am no photographer that's for sure..

Quote:
lol.png
I do have them..love them.Mine lay as well as any of my Barred Rocks..laid all winter without much complaining..hey it was cold here so everything complained some!! Shabby Chic is the ruler of all chickens but she's not mean she's just top Chicken.No current pics she's dirty and dingy right now and Queens must be photographed clean
lol.png
She isn't as mellow as my Barred Rocks but to rule 200 chickens she has moxy and attitude but never mean.
I don't have as many as I did because I had some from breeder stock that just wasn't nice enough color so sold them all off..now working on getting more.There is some real nice quality ones out there just hard to find and won't find them at a hatchery but the hatchery one's are still pretty and lay super so if that's what your after you will really like them.
I'll see if Shabby will let me get some pictures tomorrow
clap.gif

Feathersitephotos has some pictures of Tom Richardsons Buff Rocks. The ones in the photos are not quite mature but are pretty good. His are big,excellent type and color.

Back
Top Bottom