1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Read And Advise!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchik715, Nov 14, 2010.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    I posted earlier this week concerning a bird that was attacked and went missing. She returned home with superficial wounds...or so it appeared. It has been one week and she eats and drinks but will not walk. she takes a few steps if i make her but otherwise she just sits in her box. Her poop was soft anf light brown and is now green and watery with some firm lumps mixed in. It smells worse then ihave ever smelled from a chicken. How long do i leave her in the recovery area i have set up? does the green poo mean she is taking a turn for the worse? How would I even know if something more serious was going on inside her? please help. i am feeling so confused. is a week even long enough to make any descisions? please respond and help my bird out!

2. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I am not a person with alot of experience with chickens or with medical issues in general.

So if somebody who knows more than I do comes on here and says I'm off my rocker, then you might want to take my observations with a grain of salt.

However, I know that with humans, nasal discharge that is clear or just cloudy is really just a nuisance -- a miserable consequence of an otherwise harmless cold.

But if the person's nasal discharge turns to green, then it is the sign of a nasty infection.

Likewise, a green and very stinky pus in a cut or infection is sign of infection taking over (eg, gangrene).

So my intuition suggests that if the poop is green and exceptionally smelly, then it might be infection mucus coming out of the bird's rear end. Maybe some kind of internal infection that is causing creation of a green, infected pus?

Unless, of course, you have been feeding the bird greens -- weeds, grass, or greens. I have seen green poop if my healthy birds eat enough greens. But in that situation, the poop is not abnormally smelly.

I hope that I am wrong, and that your bird is NOT infected....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    Keep her isolated, warm and calm. Give her some electrolyte solution for strenght. Green poop can be from lack of eating enough, to much bile in poop. I would give her some vit B12, may help her to walk better. I had a weak hen, could not walk, it took 10 days to get her better, she is fine now. Hope your girl gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by