please read chick skin ripped off any hope

I have a guinea that was attacked by a hawk about 2 months ago. His chest was skinned open about 6inches long and 3 wide. I cleaned it as best I could, and put neosporin all over it, then wrapped it with vetrap and kept him confined. I did put him on an antibiotic in his water, just to be on the safe side. He did fine. After a few days I unwrapped him and cleaned it again and put the vetwrap on again. It took a while to cover over with new skin, but it did happen. I also bought some vetricyn, which is expensive, but helps heal fast and can be sprayed on eyes and everything, horses, dogs, etc...good stuff. Needless to say, he is fine now completely healed and just waiting for feathers to grow (which may or may not happen). I hope your chicky makes it...

I had a large brahma attacked by a hawk & had her front breast skinned. She healed up just fine, but it was not during fly season, which would have been hard.

well...she made it through the night so I figure now...our biggest challenge will be keeping her spirits up being alone without mom and INFECTION....that will be the biggie. The kids name him/her HOPE. I was wondering about bringing in one of the tiny new aztec ducklings....ducklings don't pick or bother, they are really small (her size) and it would keep her company. However, re-introducing the aztec to the flock after would be difficult....I don't know. we will see. she is a fighter though.

Try Vetericyn, it's expensive but it orks wonders. Also take a pic of the wound before you use the Vetericyn and then take a pic of it when it heals then go to the Vetericyn web site and post your results. They will send you a free bottle of it. So in the end the price is right....
big_smile.png
Good luck!
Mollie

where do you get it?

I did bring in one of the baby swedishes to be with her. She is still crying like crazy (which the duckling isn't because it was incubated so I don't think it has that 'I miss my mommy' thing going on). She did quiet down last night when the house got quiet. If she even hears me near the door of the room they are in, she goes nuts! I have seen her eat and drink, which is encouraging

That happened to my chick too once!! But here's what to do and it helped my chick who is now a happy healthy rooster:
Keep the wound clean by making sure the chick doesn't get any dirt on it or anything. It could get infected. Take the chick inside so that it is alone so that the cut has time to heal. Then apply Neosporin to the wound so that it heals faster. Neosporin is a medical cream that works on human cuts and it worked very well for my chicken. Your chicken will be shocked and won't chirp and will be quiet for a while, but soon it will be better hopefully. Take it to the other chicks sometimes BUT keep an eye on them so that they don't beat it up because chicks peck a lot at open wounds. If it resists eating or drinking, you can use a syringe to transfer water into the chick's mouth but give water a little at a time, because if you press the syringe too hard, too much water could make it choke. Make sure it eats! Keep the gauze on it and replace a fresh one too.
I really hope your chick feels much better! Keep it by you in a box at your bedside so you can check on it
smile.png
best wishes!

@Sunnysongbird, that's pretty much what I did to my chick too, and he turned out perfectly fine

I am feeling encouraged by her progress so far. My only concern now will be infection. And, for her/him..taking off the steristrips and bandaids...OUCH, but, it was the only way to keep the skin from literally hanging off its leg...a huge flap from back down to its knee and all the way up to the wing and back to the anus...here's hoping...
fl.gif

My feed mill carries the Vetericyn and I am sure that TSC should carry it also. It is great stuff for wounds.
I had a cat that got attacked by something, its leg was ripped open and it was deep. We cleaned it up and sprayed the Vetericyn on it at least 3 times a day and within 2 weeks or less it was healed. By week 3 the fur was growing back!
Give it a try it can't hurt!
Mollie

Back
Top Bottom