PLEASE READ Northern fowl mites on newborns

MushroomFairy

Chirping
Jan 17, 2021
As a previous post stated I realized I had mites under a broody hen. When I treated the first time (spinosad) the broody broke and I cleaned the eggs very well and put them in an incubator. They are hatching today. My 7 year old felt like she needed to be right in the middle of treatment. Usuallly it wouldn't matter but when I went to take a shower my 7 year old decided it would be a good idea to hold the hatched chick. The reason I am though is after I got everything back together and ok I noticed a stupid mite on one of the eggs. These chicks have to be raised inside and the last thing I need is mites all over my house. Money is teally tight right now but I have neem oil. Will neem oil be safe and effective for my babies?

Attachments

• 20220711_013531.jpg
    20220711_013531.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 21
It really stinks that absolutely no one responded. I had to take them out of the incubator. One just hatched and they were picking on the new baby badly. I ended up brushing them with a lice comb dipped in a neem oil solution. I'll write what happens here in case someone has a similar problem because apparently no one could help.

I don't have any suggestions but remember you just posted a few hours ago and people work, live their lives and likely check these boards just once a day. Hope someone can help out

If you post in the medical/emergency/injury thread or the pests/predator forum that might help

It really stinks that absolutely no one responded. I had to take them out of the incubator. One just hatched and they were picking on the new baby badly. I ended up brushing them with a lice comb dipped in a neem oil solution. I'll write what happens here in case someone has a similar problem because apparently no one could help.
You realize that most people work during the day?
All it took was 5 second Google search to tell me it's safe, but don't over do it.
You also could have searched the forum with the search box, instead. It often pays to be proactive, instead of belittling others and turning yourself into a 'helpless' victim.

You realize that most people work during the day?
All it took was 5 second Google search to tell me it's safe, but don't over do it.
You also could have searched the forum with the search box, instead. It often pays to be proactive, instead of belittling others and turning yourself into a 'helpless' victim.
This isn't the only post I made. I also made one in the aforementioned thread with a slightly different question yesterday. I tried here because no one responded and I was getting desperate and frustrated I did do a search that's how I came to my conclusion. I also did do a search in the search bar. You aren't telling me anything. There is no need to be rude and call names. As far as belittling perhaps you are internalizing a bit? I belittled no one.

Last edited:
You have mites in your incubator?
Permethrin is safe to use.

I wouldn't use Neem oil.
I saw one mite on the egg. That was enough to concern me I already did it. They seem to be doing great. Thank you though. I'll see about that.

I don't have any suggestions but remember you just posted a few hours ago and people work, live their lives and likely check these boards just once a day. Hope someone can help out

If you post in the medical/emergency/injury thread or the pests/predator forum that might help
I apoligise for that. I was frustrated because I made a similar post in the pests section with a different question yesterday. I was frustrated because I needed to get them some water soon and had to get them out as they were bullying the last one that hatched.

I'm sorry you didn't get advice sooner. It sounds like you're doing something effective. I have never incubated eggs but I do have a kid that gets into everything so I feel your pain!

Poultry mites live and feed on poultry. They won't be all over your house, thankfully. They will probably be taken care of now with the neem oil. In the future, permethrin is the product of choice as it's safe for birds and very, very easy to apply. It's just not safe for cats, if that's a concern.

There are times folks don't get answers on these fora. There are soooo many posts that some get buried. Many of us make a concerted effort to answer those that haven't gotten responses, but, for me, I'm dealing with several problems in my own flock that require A LOT of time. And I just found out I have strep throat. And I work (though not today, unfortunately). It's frustrating, but it happens.

Back
Top Bottom