PLEASE READ........YOU COULD HELP SAVE A CHICKENS LIFE!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kylieschooks, Jan 8, 2014.

1. kylieschooks

kylieschooks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    Hello, thanks for taking the time to read.....!

Here goes, got a sick chicken who had crop surgery 2 days ago, she had impacted crop!! She was not eating for a few days before I managed to take her to the vet, 3 days before I had taken another chook to the vets and it is recovering great, eating, drinking very happy!!!

Anyway, the sick chook has had its operation and still not eating, and I am worried it's going to starv to death!!! How long till a chicken dies of starvation??? Today I managed to syringe water and soaked pellets very few hours.

I need to know can you bring a chicken back after not eating for a good few days? And also how much food will it need to survive?? Do I need to feed every hour or every few???

Chicken pecks a few bits of food every now and then but not enough to survive on its own!!!

I've got hope for this chicken, I just think it needs food and water to become strong again, I'm not giving up,,,

Please help,,,,,

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tube feed. Tube feeding link in my sig.

-kathy

3. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    Ok thanks, I think I would really struggle with that as i don't have anyone to help me at this time :-(( any other options? Thanks

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I do it by myself. You can wrap the bird in a towel like a swaddle baby and place her between your thighs--nice and secure and still have the use of both hands. Just have everything set up and ready to go before you start.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I do it by myself with wild peafowl, 35 pound turkeys, huge roosters, etc., all with no towel, but many do use the towel method. I place them in my lap on my left thigh with their heads to the right. I wrap my left arm around them and open their beak with my left hand. Watch the videos in the thread listed in my sig and see if that helps.

Tubing won't "cure" them, but they won't die from dehydration or starvation if tubed properly. I am available by phone if you need help.

IMNSHO, there are no ther safe options.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. circesfire

circesfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    I agree with Kathy. It may take a while to get the technique down by yourself but tubing is probably the best option. I have done it on hawks and geese by myself using the towel method.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd also suggest that you start weighing her daily on a digital kitchen or postal scale in grams.

-Kathy

2 people like this.
  8. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I also agree with Kathy.

By the way, does she poop? How does her crop look? How old is she? How about her comb? Is she molting? sorry for many questions..

9. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London

Her poo was very green with water, now that I have been feeding her it has gone white and watery. Her crop is flat because not much in there, she is only 7 months old....she is not molting.

I will start to weigh her, I don't know where to get the tube from? I am going to have a look today, I'm in the uk.

Thanks

10. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by