Please remind me that Patience is a Virtue!

Oh, and also, I have another question, if that's okay. I really don't mean to be so fretful.
hmm.png

I'm using sand in my brooder, and I'm wondering if this is a good idea? If anyone has a better idea for brooder material it would be immensely appreciated.

Quote:
That sounds wonderful! I'll have to look for that combination at the store, what brand is it? I like mint and I like chamomile, I might just go put a tea bag of each in a large cup for a try!

Using sand I'd think you would want to cover it with paper towel till your secure that the chicks are eating well, and they know to eat the food. Eating sand will not hurt them, it will be like grit if they take a bit in, but you don't want them thinking they are eating and being full on sand. They are going to be hungry and tired when they get there so make the right choice easy.

Quote:
That sounds wonderful! I'll have to look for that combination at the store, what brand is it? I like mint and I like chamomile, I might just go put a tea bag of each in a large cup for a try!

Using sand I'd think you would want to cover it with paper towel till your secure that the chicks are eating well, and they know to eat the food. Eating sand will not hurt them, it will be like grit if they take a bit in, but you don't want them thinking they are eating and being full on sand. They are going to be hungry and tired when they get there so make the right choice easy.

I mix the mint-chamomile tea myself, actually. I use one bag of the Sleepytime blend from Celestial Seasonings (which has mint and other herbs like tilia leaves and such) and then some regular chamomile tea I've had sitting around for awhile. Also, a little bit of sugar really brings those flavors together. It's got a very "awake" flavor, yet it's got that soothing calming feel to it also. It's great to drink during a late-night study session. It'll keep you alert when you need it to, and then once you've put the books away you can doze right off to sleep!
old.gif

And thanks so much for the advice. I was actually really worried about them neglecting their food because of the sand being similar in color, but now that you mention it, the paper towels seem like the obvious choice to help the babies figure it out.
roll.png
Good thing I've got some on hand.

I would have used pine shavings, but the ones at TSC the other day smelled too much like cedar, and it didn't specify what was used, so I didn't get it. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry on this one.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom