please replyyyyyy i need tips !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jt813, Oct 15, 2012.

1. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    ok so my parents told me were getting goats soon and i have no clue wat to do i nedd so much advise and all of the tips you have pleas and thankyou

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    You could visit my thread, called ANY INFO ON GOATS, I NEED HELP WITH THIS PROJECT. It has 10 pages of goat info from experts. [​IMG]

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Congrats on the soon to be additions! However, I suggest your parents slow down until you have everything ready. Better to bring home your new goats and have everything setup to maximize their comfort, rather than scrambling to make sure you have what you need.

Important things to have, basic list, obviously.

Shelter, area protected from drafts and the weather.
    Enclosure/pasture, for them to have access from their shelter, so they can have space to play, run, etc.
    HAY - Can be as simple as grass hay. Nothing moldy, old, rained on, etc.
    Minerals - not a mineral block, they don't get enough of what they need from a block. Bags of loose minerals for goats are sold at most feed stores. This should be given free choice as they need, so they can lick it up. I give a few tablespoons at a time, and it lasts mine a few days before I need to refresh their supply.
    A LIVESTOCK VET! Find a livestock veterinarian in your area! This is important, because problems can happen at anytime, like the middle of the night, during a storm, on a holiday, etc.
    Grain - for goats who are under a year old, pregnant, or lactating. Adults who are not carrying, milking, or nursing kids, bucks, or castrated bucks (wethers) do not need grain.

I also suggest joining Backyardherds and asking there. Definitely start a thread on there. People more experienced (and less tired at the moment, hah) can give you a great answer on how to start!

4. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    REALLY good fencing,,# 1!!
    Goats are THE best escape artists,and always want to be on the other side of the fence,,lol!~
    and they jump ...HIGH!~

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    awesome thnx guys so much i have a barn for some of my other animals and weel keep them in their lol and i guess i need new fencing lol

6. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    i have an expecting boer and she is sweet independent and loves apple tree leaves they really dont need any special treatment and keep weeds dow. good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by