Please school me on the difference...

DillardHome

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Claxton, GA
of Americana, Araucana & Americaucana???
hu.gif

I picked up five at a feed store and they were listed as Ameraucana.

Thanks all!
smile.png

Well first of all, if you picked up an Ameraucana from a feed store, it isn't an Ameraucana-it's an Easter Egger!! Trust me, don't be sad about that EE's are great, they have a high tendency to lay a blue, greenish blue, cream or even a pink egg, but they can lay a brown egg. Ameraucana's and Araucana's or available only through private breeders. Araucana's are actually rumpless, no tail feathers! There's tons of breeder's on byc and possibly in your area, check craigslist. There is no Americana, that's just a common misspelling of Ameraucana. Hope this helps and congrats on your new babies.

of Americana, Araucana & Americaucana??? hu

I picked up five at a feed store and they were listed as Ameraucana.

Thanks all! smile

Americana and Americaucana are misspellings of Ameraucana. Ameraucanas are a breed of blue egg laying chicken derived from the Araucana breed. Araucanas are the original blue egg laying chicken and do not have a tail. What you have we call an Easter Egger. They are mutt Ameraucanas and may lay blue, green, brown, or pink eggs.​

http://www.apa-abayouthprogramsite.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf :

The EASTER EGGER OR AMERICANA as people like to call them are actually a mish-mash of mixed breeds, with definitely some of the blue laying, lethal gene of the Araucana or Ameraucana mixed in. This is what causes them to lay eggs of several different colors. The eggs can be anywhere from light tan, dark tan, blue, pinkish or even a pale yellow.

These chickens are actually very pretty, with a mix of color in their feathers and they are often found in the backyard flock that farmers use for egg layers. Of course with all of the beautiful colors they became known as the Easter Eggers because they look like eggs we color for Easter.

Being these Easter Eggers are a cross breed type of chicken their feathers can be as colorful as a painting with every color imaginable on one bird, whereby the two standard breeds have very definite colors indicative of their particular breeds. The AMERAUCANA and the ARAUCANA are both fancy purebred breeds that are listed in the American Standard of Perfection published by the American Poultry Association and the Bantam Standard that is published by the American Bantam Association.

The EASTER EGGER/AMERICANA is a cross breed that hatcheries sell to fill the need of the hobby farmer that wants a colorful backyard flock and beautiful eggs. If you don’t wish to show your birds, the Easter Egger is the perfect bird for you.​

Back
Top Bottom