Please see pictures and give advice on cause and treatment of feather inflammation on bantam foot

MIchic

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5064.jpg
    IMG_5064.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 14
It would help a lot if you'd repost the photos and select "full size" so we can zoom in and see better detail.

You also have given us much too little information. For example, what is the age of this chicken? Is she molting? How much poop on the ground in the run or coop is she plowing though? Have you checked for lice and mites?

Rooster 8 months old, run and coop cleaned daily for poop, they free range. Have not looked for lice and mites because I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.

My bantam cochin x brahma rooster has the same redness on his foot, I always assumed it was just from where the feathers were growing in.

Have you heard of Vetricyn? It's a wound spray found in feed stores.

It appears the redness around the feather shafts is a "built-in" irritation as the feathers are coming in or the feathers brush up against things. Sometimes other chickens even peck and pick at them, causing irritation.

Further irritation can occur when feces and mud build up. Feather footed chickens sometimes require foot baths to wash away poop buildup. If you use Epsom salts, in the bath, it will help soothe the irritated skin. Dry and follow up with Vetericyn spray.

Redness on the legs of roosters is also indicative of active hormones.

If the irritation is bothering the roo, he will give out signals. He may limp, shake his feet, hold a foot up tight against his belly, and he may peck at the soreness. That will let you know his feet need washing and Vetericyn.

Have you heard of Vetricyn? It's a wound spray found in feed stores.

It appears the redness around the feather shafts is a "built-in" irritation as the feathers are coming in or the feathers brush up against things. Sometimes other chickens even peck and pick at them, causing irritation.

Further irritation can occur when feces and mud build up. Feather footed chickens sometimes require foot baths to wash away poop buildup. If you use Epsom salts, in the bath, it will help soothe the irritated skin. Dry and follow up with Vetericyn spray.

Redness on the legs of roosters is also indicative of active hormones.

If the irritation is bothering the roo, he will give out signals. He may limp, shake his feet, hold a foot up tight against his belly, and he may peck at the soreness. That will let you know his feet need washing and Vetericyn.
Thank you! I was at Tractor Supply today and saw that spray. I will go back and purchase. He is limping and he is standing on 1 foot regularly.

If he continues to behave like his feet hurt, you can mitigate the pain and inflammation with 81 grain whole chewable aspirin twice a day.

Epsom salt warm water soaks can also relieve his pain and inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom