Please send good karma, prayers, puppy drool... Whatever ya got

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
We have hit a sticky situation here. I normally don't air problems to many people but I think we could use all the positive energy we can get.
2 years ago hubby was made a job offer that we couldn't turn down, it was a dream come true for any mining engineer.... a chance to prove a reserve, build a plant on it and be in on the ground floor of an operation. He signed on and proved the sand was there, proved the grades most profitable were there in decent quantities, helped set up all the technical information for investors, basically made it possible to get the funding for the plant to be built. He helped talk the land owners into selling the property to the company instead of leasing it out. He has written the job descriptions and manuals for the entire plant. He designed the application forms. He handled all the write ups MSHA and the EPA needed for them to get all their permits. This takes years of experience to handle and hubby has been in the business for 11 years now

Yesterday the 'boss' called him in and basically accused him of forging his entire resume, qualifications, education, contacts, everything and bumped him down to the lowest paying position they had... less than half what he was making and less than the first job either of us took straight out of college 11 years ago. He lost the company truck, his desk and phone. This is an at will state and we've already spoken to a lawyer.... there is nothing we can do other than grin and bear it.

$1200 a month after taxes is really bad.

I've been out of work for the past 15 months and am also an engineer. We live in a rural area where even cashiering jobs are scarce. Hubby has been on the phone all day trying to land ANYTHING that will at least let us pay the house payment, electricity and the gas back and forth. We are down to one car, I'll be working on the other one tomorrow to see if I'm going to have to pull the engine or if it's a less involved fix.

Moving is not an option at the moment, due to the new credit rules neither of us will ever be able to buy a house again and with the housing market out here we'll take a HUGE loss on the house anyway.

I'm going to be begging for a job over the next few days within walking distance of the house. For now we have a plan for the next month or so money wise. He will stay at the crap job until he can find anything else. His recruiter has a lead or two in the area so we are hunkering down and planning on fighting to keep our house.

Any good vibes, prayers, positive energy, good karma, drool, etc you can spare would be appreciated.

hugs.gif
th.gif

good luck.... something must have went wrong for the bottom to fall out that fast

I feel your pain. At least he still has a job though, my DH has been out of work for 5 months. NO prospects. I can't find squat either. Sorry for you!!

hugs.gif
That stinks! Why would the boss think that? Can't he just simply call and check the references from previous jobs as well as call the university to verify the degree?!? What BS! I understand it being an "at will" state, but can't the attorney go after the boss (or the person who reported it to the boss if there is one) for slander? I will send positive energy (no puppies here..sorry) that you and your DH find something quick!!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Slander has to be proven. We'd have to find written evidence or 10 or 12 people willing to testify against the guy to even have a chance at a case.

References and education were verified before the offer was made to him 2 years ago, which is why we are totally and entirely dumbfounded by that accusation. Several of his references even consulted on this project over the last 2 years.

What it all amounts to is they either found someone they can go drinking with that doesn't upset their ego or they had planned this for at least the last year after he disagreed with them over a major design aspect of the plant. Now that the plant is built, hubby is expendable. Plain as that.

Doesn't mean we aren't totally and entirely ticked off..... gee, I could have made a sailor blush last night and was a close to being homicidal as I've ever been.

Wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't out of work but my company closed most of it's offices and laid off 75% of it's people. They are doing better now so I'm going to contact my old boss and at least see if he has something temporary for a couple of months.

I'm sorry, this is going to sound majorly insensitive, but I'm picturing someone sending you puppy drool . . .

OUCH. So sorry
hugs.gif
If he did fudge on his resume then they can even fire him. If he didn't fudge then that's slander and would talk to a lawyer (with money short didn't know if can do this). He may be able to get unemployment as well (if his resume was true) as well as keeping his job as it was such a big cut--only if he makes below a certain amount of money. As mentioned most jobs are at will so they may be trying to get him to quit so they don't have to pay unemployment at all. If however, something bad happened in reference to your husband's work then they may be looking for a loophole--right or wrong.

Quote:
No they are just trying to get out of unemployment insurance claims. Resume wasn't fudged, I read it before he handed it over to be sure way back when. Lawyer let us know that this happens all the time and unless we have the resources to get this into court then it's not worth the effort to fight it. Waiting on word from the unemployment office.....

All the bad stuff that has happened at this place so far is because they have ignored his advise on design issues with the equipment. I can even go out there and point out the stuff they've done incorrectly or spent way too much money on and I'm not in mining. All these things were changed because the boss let the contractor talk him into adding or changing the basic design plan of the place. personally I can't wait until start up next week to see how bad it's going to go.

Back
Top Bottom