Please share your chicken tractor designs.

Rich Marshall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
I am in the process of designing a chicken tractor for 4 hens and looking for inspiration...please share your with me thanks.

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
Here is a look at mine, I made as a broody coop/chicken tractor/grower pen/what ever small animal I need to hold pen lol works great. I lay a heavy piece of plywood over the netting when I'm not home just in case something would want to bust through it (though my dogs do a great job of getting rid of any pests) and get them. I also pen them up safe in the little house every night so nothing can get them.

Mudpuddle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 26, 2011
Gretna, Ne
My Coop
My Coop
Here is a look at mine, I made as a broody coop/chicken tractor/grower pen/what ever small animal I need to hold pen lol works great. I lay a heavy piece of plywood over the netting when I'm not home just in case something would want to bust through it (though my dogs do a great job of getting rid of any pests) and get them. I also pen them up safe in the little house every night so nothing can get them.

MaresNest

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Aiken, SC
carladababe,

How much did your tractor cost to build? How much does it weigh? Do you have a side view picture? I'm constantly trying to figure out a lightweight tractor design that's large and relatively secure from predators. I keep coming back to these hoop houses. :)

carladababe

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Dixon, Missouri
Hello,
My husband says it cost around $450.00 but I think that includes some money to our friend who helped build it. He also says it weighs a couple hundred pounds, it's meant to be dagged by the tractor ( or truck with a hitch,) the bottom rails are built like runners for easier glide. We've had some really strong winds and it hasn't moved an inch, though I tend to remove the tarp in bad weather. I really like it, I can leave the girls outside without worry, saw a beautiful Bald chicken-eaten Eagle this morning.
ep.gif

CALI CHICK

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Rio Linda, CA
I built mine out of scrap wood mostly. I had to buy the 6 foot boards along the bottom, chicken wire and castors (wheels) for the corners. It cost about $20. I move it around the yard myself a couple times a day for our 3 chickens. It sure isn't pretty, but it keeps the girls safe from hawks during the day.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom