Please share your chicken tractor designs.

Rich Marshall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
I am in the process of designing a chicken tractor for 4 hens and looking for inspiration...please share your with me thanks.

Here is a look at mine, I made as a broody coop/chicken tractor/grower pen/what ever small animal I need to hold pen lol works great. I lay a heavy piece of plywood over the netting when I'm not home just in case something would want to bust through it (though my dogs do a great job of getting rid of any pests) and get them. I also pen them up safe in the little house every night so nothing can get them.

Here is a look at mine, I made as a broody coop/chicken tractor/grower pen/what ever small animal I need to hold pen lol works great. I lay a heavy piece of plywood over the netting when I'm not home just in case something would want to bust through it (though my dogs do a great job of getting rid of any pests) and get them. I also pen them up safe in the little house every night so nothing can get them.

carladababe,

How much did your tractor cost to build? How much does it weigh? Do you have a side view picture? I'm constantly trying to figure out a lightweight tractor design that's large and relatively secure from predators. I keep coming back to these hoop houses. :)

Hello,
My husband says it cost around $450.00 but I think that includes some money to our friend who helped build it. He also says it weighs a couple hundred pounds, it's meant to be dagged by the tractor ( or truck with a hitch,) the bottom rails are built like runners for easier glide. We've had some really strong winds and it hasn't moved an inch, though I tend to remove the tarp in bad weather. I really like it, I can leave the girls outside without worry, saw a beautiful Bald chicken-eaten Eagle this morning.
ep.gif

I built mine out of scrap wood mostly. I had to buy the 6 foot boards along the bottom, chicken wire and castors (wheels) for the corners. It cost about $20. I move it around the yard myself a couple times a day for our 3 chickens. It sure isn't pretty, but it keeps the girls safe from hawks during the day.

Back
Top Bottom