1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please share your knowledge of RA(Rheumatoid Arthritis) with me.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by easttxchick, Mar 19, 2011.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    My mother was diagnosed with RA this past week(she actually ended up in the hospital).
    I have read a bit on it, but thought maybe some real, personal experience stories would help.
    Tips, diet ideas, dealing with the flare ups, etc would be very much appreciated.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My 35 yo daughter has it. There are some effective newer medications out there (injections), however they are not without the possibility of side effects. My daughter was using one that was working but the insurance company (actually two insurance companies) refused to cover it because of the expense.

I think it helps to have a good rheumatoidologist (sp) who will not give up until they find something that is effective.

There are anti inflammatory diets, but I don't know what the empirical evidence is as to their effectiveness in treating RA. I doubt that it could hurt though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by