Please show me the perch that is in front of your nests

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Sep 30, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We put our nest box openings about 11" off the ground so the litter won't get in. I am guessing I need to add a perch or step or something but what is the best way? Our nests stick out of the coop wall so on the inside, it's flush with the wall.

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    here is a perch in front of my nest box...not sure you can see it all that well.......it is just about 6 inches out in front of the boxes....i dont think the one in the box needed that perch!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Perch in front of nesting boxes.

[​IMG]

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

haha! that cat is so cute. [​IMG] Since ours are flat with the wall there isn't any underneath to run supports from (like the last post) so I can use angle brackets or something to put something on it. I prefer not to have anything that goes to the floor.

5. yellowjacket

yellowjacket Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    Summerland, BC
    Here's mine! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Here's a picture of my perch & nesting box set up. Mind you my girls are less than four months old and haven't laid an egg yet, so I can't make any claims about the boxes themselves. The pullets do hop up onto the perch and then hop to the shelf above some nights.

[​IMG]

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Here is what I did. Our boxes stick out the wall as well so I just used some metal brackets and a 1" x 3'' for step leading into boxes. good luck. Oh, the v shaped thin plywood over the front of the boxes is to stop them from roosting on the edge of the boxes and pooping inside them. Works great. They can go in(boxes are super roomy) but can't roost on thin edge of plywood.
    Erik

[​IMG]

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:What an excellent solution Erik, one I had never seen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by