Please somebody....Silkie with leg problems....HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catdiva6, Oct 26, 2010.

1. catdiva6

catdiva6 New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Hi, posted already with no response. I have lots of little silkies hatching and all are healthy and robust. This last guy is robust but both legs go out in front of him, not sideways. Imagine if you sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front...well that's him. He's just sitting on his butt. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is there anything I can do??

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Well, not that exactly, but I once had one with curled toes. I gently manipulated the toes to straight out against my finger several times a day until it was no longer a problem. Maybe you could try some sort of "chick physical therapy" like that? How long has it been hatched? Is it peeping?

3. catdiva6

catdiva6 New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    I'm thinking today was day two because he was all dry and robust, peeping and flapping his wings. I have had an occassional chick with the leg out to the side where you tape them together, but these are straight, no curled toes and I think if I tape them they will still just be out in front. Otherwise he seems happy and healthy and his momma keeps him warm.

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    If his mama is taking good care of him, I wouldn't worry too much. If there were some sort of real problem, she would probably turn on him.

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkie moms are usually very good at their jobs, so if he is being cared for by his mom then he is probably okay. Chicken moms (like a lot of other animals) will do their own culling if their baby has a bad problem.

6. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    look into this: Avian Encephalomyelitis

it happens during the first week of life i think

7. Donna R

Donna R Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Plant City, Florida
    I hatch my chicks in an incubator. I have had this happen several times. As soon as I find them I put them in a small rubbemade storage container, not much bigger than they are, and put several pieces of toilet paper over the top so they cannot get out of the container (use a rubber band to keep it on). I also put a small piece of the rubberized shelf liner in th bottom of the container. By doing this he has to keep his legs under himself and he pushes up against the toilet paper lid and exercises and strengthens his legs. I usually only have to keep him in the container for 6 to 8 hours. Usually I do this shortly after they hatch, so they don't need food and water yet. You may need to take him in and out of the container to let him eat and drink. Take him out and let him drink and eat and then put him back in for a few hours. Good luck.

8. catdiva6

catdiva6 New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Hey everyone....great big thanks to each of you! Well, I went out today and he is fine, walking around with all the rest and eating and drinking. I guess he just needed some time to figure things out. I now have 12 of them! Thanks again!

9. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:Great idea!

10. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    I'd love to see a pic of this! Fab idea!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by