please suggest breed that is...

Quote:
My Americanas pullets are flighty too. The rooster is better but still not real friendly. My Dominique however is the most people focused of all. She comes asking to be touched and will jump into my hands. Buff Orpington is friendly as is the Blue Andulusian, Golden Comet, Columbian and Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Sicilian Buttercup and Gold Campine are as bad as the Americanas. The rest (Partridge Rock, Cuckoo Maran, Gold Lakenvelder, Gold Lace Wyandotte, Blue Lace Red Wyandotte and Welsummers) fall somewhere in between.

I'd second speckled sussex. Mine are by far the naturally friendliest of my flock, despite being raised with like 40 other chicks. They're very docile and will follow us around and any time you stand still, you've got a chicken snuggling your feet/in your lap.
I've got a friendlier BO but she spent months inside recovering from exposure (got stuck in an engine block for days in freezing conditions, while she was starting to molt). Prior to her rehab, she was a surly broad though. Her sister is a nightmare.

I have had great luck with RI Reds, barred rocks and orpingtons. i feel like no matter what breed you need to hand raise them and socialize them alot - spend time with them and give them treats! I am working up a new flock now but my old one I had 24-30 hens and most all of them were easy to handle. The kids would put the hens in baby carriages and push them around the yard - or just cuddle them on the swing. - Maybe that's it! hire a couple of kids to take turns carrying them arpund like babies & de sensitize them!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom