Please take my poll :) scaly leg mites/quarantine... Thanks much!

Does this new addition to my flock have scale leg mites? Would you treat it?

• This bird has scale leg mites without a doubt. I do not normally treat birds for this during quarant

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • This bird may have scale leg mites. I would treat it as part of my normal quarantine process.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • This bird does not appear to have scale leg mites. I would not treat it for them but would quarantin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This bird may have scale leg mites. I do not normally treat birds for scale during quarantine but I

• This bird does not have scale leg mites. I would not quarantine it.

• This bird could be going through a molt and that is why its legs look like that. It looks normal.

• I treat all new additions to my flock for scale leg mites.

• Total voters
didn't like your pool choices, but I tried a vote.
1. quarantine like always
2. looks like it has had scale mites. can't tell if they are active from pics. Treat agressively - slather nustock or vaseline on every day for two weeks. worth it now to prevent future problems.

5 years ago I brought a pullet into my flock that had scaly mites. To this day, I still have scaly mites that pop up in my flock. Trouble is, the scales don't always molt off and return to normal. So the chicken in your pic could have active mites, or could have no mites but had them. so treat as if there are mites.

Thank you much lalaland (I like your name too
thumbsup.gif
) - I am sorry you didn't like my poll choices - but I much appreciate you taking the time to weigh in - more info is always better!! I guess I was also trying to gauge how many people consider treating for scale mites as PART of their quarantine process.... (I never have before...this bird is making me question that.)

I agree there's something funky with those legs, but it's not what I've seen on here before as active scaly mites. I've never seen it in person, so I don't know if this may be the early or late phase. I'd go ahead and treat--it's not difficult or expensive or dangerous to the bird, so why not?

I agree there's something funky with those legs, but it's not what I've seen on here before as active scaly mites. I've never seen it in person, so I don't know if this may be the early or late phase. I'd go ahead and treat--it's not difficult or expensive or dangerous to the bird, so why not?

I've never seen scaly mite in person either. But I know the scales don't look right and I can't think of anything else that would make them look like that. I do know that a lot of the pics posted online are severe cases - and this is clearly not that. I am treating. I've gotten a wide degree of responses (albeit very few) on the difficulty of treating effectively. I actually don't know if I can bring myself to introduce it to a flock of 30 some birds. I've had chickens for 6 years and gotten birds from all over - and gotten birds from at least six different places this year - and never have I been suspicious of scaly mites so I really think my gut is right and this kind of is a big deal to me and my flock. I just wish I'd get more conclusive responses and guidance :(

So, I respect your opinion and I've seen your name a bunch on here... can you give me more feedback? Do you normally treat your birds for scaly mite when you quarantine them? Have you ever treated any of your birds for scale mite before? Ever done so unsuspecting as a precaution? Know of any success stories?

Thank you much...

I have a closed flock, so I've never had to quarantine or treat. I only buy chicks from a hatchery/feed store or hatch my own. So, I've never had to deal with things like this, sorry.

You might just give this thread time, or you might try posting in the Diseases and Emergencies section. More folks there are familiar with things like this than I am.

Back
Top Bottom