please tell me an easier way to pluck my duck

Quote:
Does not your method tend to slightly steam cook the skin? I have done birds with the newspaper wrap but the skin did not brown and crispt the way I wanted when cooking.~gd

Just cooked breasts two days ago and it the skin was nice and crisp.

Edited to add Pekin Duck

Some recipes call for steaming the duck before cooking to make crispier skin.

Last edited:
Omg I am salivating over a good crispy duck and the funny thing is I have only had it once about 7 years ago, I don't remember the taste. Lol

Yikes. Does that recipe ever look good! Because of all the time resting, I will wait until the weather cools off and my garage becomes a giant refrigerator. Then I'm going to try it.

I've always wanted to make Peking Duck but was intimidated by the inflating. This looks like it would be very similar, but less work.

I'd be willing to bet that the duck could be cooked whole in a turkey fryer.

Quote:
Yeah! I was totally gonna do this too. I bought the book and the fingers but I couldn't get enough used parts to keep the DYI plucker in the $500 range (my budget). Then I found these stainless steel pluckers http://www.cconlystore.com/Plucker_c5.htm for under $500 and I ordered one right away! I got a good deal on a discontinued model that normally sold for more. If I could have built my own for around $200 I would have done it, but for the same price it just made sense.

Looking around their website again, I see they also sell duck wax... think I might buy me some today. And I just saw that Herrick (of planet whizbang) is now selling poultry shrink bags... awesome: http://poultryshrinkbags.blogspot.com/. Hmmmm... I should probably put the whizbang book and fingers I bought last year on my website to sell them, they're just gathering dust in the basement.
hmm.png

I talked my son into building a whizbang. He studied the project, priced things out, considered the time it would take and then ordered an EZPlucker.

Whizbang is the way to go if you have a way to get all the parts for cheap. If you have to pay retail for the parts, not so much.

He saved a lot of money by having the plucker delivered to the local freight depot instead of delivered to the house. Then the shipping company called me and arranged to meet me on the side of the road 10 miles from the house, which saved me from driving into town to get it. So the shipping turned out to be a really good deal.

(Grin) But now he has to buy a bunch of Cornish Cross. He's got all this money in a plucker and he has to get his use out of it.

Quote:
I am all over that recipe too. I asked someone if they ever had fried duck and they said no such thing. Now I can show them thus.

Back
Top Bottom