Please tell me I'm crazy

Hoovers doesn't sell blue australorps, and that chick is not a black australorp. Also, it's not a cuckoo marans - sorry. Sapphire gem, Blue Andalusian, blue orpington are possibilities. Just try and relax and enjoy your chick, and worry about it again in a couple weeks. :)
Thank you for kind of narrowing it down! Enjoying him/her is something I'm really trying to do because the thought that I may have to give him/her up is hard to deal with

They remind me of mine, or at least at this stage. Mystery chick had a brown spot on its head when it was a tiny chick that has since been replaced with little specks of developing black feathers. This was the day I brought them home at 2 days hatched. Neither of them had a white spot or splotch on their heads which is what made me think that maybe they're not cuckoo marans or may be mixed.
I had to do some hunting but here are some pics of my gold laced wyandottes (from hoovers) when we got them, and now (7.5weeks)! I posted a pic of my australorps chicks earlier (they are a week old now)!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230529_184908_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_184908_Photos.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Snapchat-236835533.jpg
    Snapchat-236835533.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1235111834.jpg
    Snapchat-1235111834.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1083292669.jpg
    Snapchat-1083292669.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230531_151040_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_151040_Messages.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230531_150937_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_150937_Messages.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 3
Hoovers does sell black australorps. I have 10 in the brooder from them!
Well, yeah, like I said they don't sell blue. But they do sell black. But that chick is not a black australorp. I have a couple black australorps myself and they are cute!

Example of a blue australorp from Mt Healthy hatchery. Still not looking like OP's chick.
https://www.mthealthy.com/birds/blue-australorp

Well, yeah, like I said they don't sell blue. But they do sell black. But that chick is not a black australorp. I have a couple black australorps myself and they are cute!

Example of a blue australorp from Mt Healthy hatchery. Still not looking like OP's chick.
https://www.mthealthy.com/birds/blue-australorp
No...definitely not a match...that's why I posted a pic of mine for her to compare.

I had to do some hunting but here are some pics of my gold laced wyandottes (from hoovers) when we got them, and now (7.5weeks)! I posted a pic of my australorps chicks earlier (they are a week old now)!
Omg they're so beautiful 😍 I can't wait for my wyandottes to be totally feathered. I think they're silver laced

So many people get caught in the cuteness trap and buy from places like TSC with clerks that often really don't know beans about chicks and their gender... So sad.
I have to make myself go the whole way around thru the hardware section to get to the chicken feed as to completely avoid the chicks when they have them so I don't fall into the cuteness trap. I also try to project a mental image of the work of keeping water unfrozen and shoveling snow around the coop, cleaning the coop/run etc etc. to remind myself that if I get more chicks, I'd need another or much larger coop and I'm to old and arthritic to deal with all of that. It's the only thing that keeps the chicken math from taking over. They really are just to darn cute! LOL.

Pretty sure your mystery chick isn’t a blue cuckoo marans. They don’t have to have feathered feet to be marans, but the skin color seems wrong, and I don’t see any cuckoo patterning in the feathers.

I agree with FunClucks, that Sapphire Gem and Blue Orpington are more likely. I’m having a hard time finding pictures of Blue Andalusian chicks that look like yours. On Hoover’s site they show three chicks which I assume are their black/blue/splash Andalusians, and the blue seems lighter colored in the face area than yours do in the picture above. The Fibro Easter Egger chick pictures I’m seeing online have completely black feet, while yours have yellow toes. Maybe there is some more variation in chick coloring out there than I’m seeing, but I still think odds are it’s one of the first two breeds.

Here are some pics of my blue cuckoo to compare, just so you feel more confident crossing them off the list of potential breeds:

10 days old
8F772E84-213F-48CF-818B-DEB25023CF7D.jpeg

3 weeks old
47C233E9-6FEC-44A7-9141-20507564DAD0.jpeg

5 weeks old
FB9D22CB-1B77-4DE1-B51F-25CE9AF11A48.jpeg
You can see the white cuckoo pattern in her blue feathers, and her feet and beak are pinkish.

Would love to see what your mystery chick ends up being, since she/he already looks gorgeous! Please update us as they grow 😊

*Edited out accidental extra picture.

Back
Top Bottom