Please tell me I'm crazy

It wasn't a "cuteness trap", we thought they were a good place to get chicks from. They weren't even the breeds I went for, but that's what they had so I actually did look up the breeds they told me they were first before choosing to buy them. I checked my city ordinances, chose a copp and run, did A LOT of research prior to purchasing them. But in that research I didn't come across anything that made me think TSC wasn't a good choice for a supplier.
TSC is fine, they are Hoover's chicks. That is where most people start, unless they have local friends or something just giving them chickens lol. My first five hens were five pullets from the pullet bin, so while yes, there can be mixups, they don't *always* get it wrong all the time.

and has a tail that's starting to sickle.
no way comedy GIF by CBC

lol

Way too young to be getting any male-specific feathering. And tails have very little to do with sexing them as it will be months before he gets a tail like a rooster.

Wyandottes can be very tricky with pullets reddening fairly quick. I'd assume it was a cockerel based on the pictures, but compare the size of the legs (thickness) and feet to the presumed pullet to see if there's a lot of difference.

On the other two, it looks like you have a pullet for sure and one I might suspect was a cockerel, but it's really too early to be sure. Pictures outside with natural light can give better results than photos taken indoors.

Last edited:
no way comedy GIF by CBC

lol

Way to young to be getting any male-specific feathering. And tails have very little to do with sexing them as it will be months before he gets a tail like a rooster.

Wyandottes can be very tricky with pullets reddening fairly quick. I'd assume it was a cockerel based on the pictures, but compare the size of the legs (thickness) and feet to the presumed pullet to see if there's a lot of difference.

On the other two, it looks like you have a pullet for sure and one I might suspect was a cockerel, but it's really too early to be sure. Pictures outside with natural light can give better results than photos taken indoors.
The grey chicks pictured are the same chick from different angles 😅 But I'm happy to hear about it being too early for sickling 🙌 I'm really crossing my fingers that the grey one is female. The wyandotte, I found photos online from a website that showed male vs female and one of the wyandottes I have looks identical to their female photo and the wyandotte I attached to this post looks identical to their male photo. One rooster is cool, 2 is too much for what I'm allowed to do

TSC is fine, they are Hoover's chicks. That is where most people start, unless they have local friends or something just giving them chickens lol. My first five hens were five pullets from the pullet bin, so while yes, there can be mixups, they don't *always* get it wrong all the time.
Right and the gentleman helping us was very sure of himself and the information he gave us regarding breed and gender of the chicks so in my mind I felt like it was a done deal and what we were getting was what we were told we would end up with.

When I first started flirting with the idea of raising chickens I reached out to everyone I knew who had chickens in the past, but no one currently is so I turned to the internet for information before deciding. That's why I knew to steer clear of the straight run bin because I was aware of the risks and likelihood that I would end up with roosters. We are allowed so few animals and have such little space where I live.

I'm really crossing my fingers that this grey chick is female and that I have 3 hens and 1 rooster. I know once they're older I'll know for sure, waiting is just hard because I'm the type of person who needs a solid plan lol

no way comedy GIF by CBC

lol

Way too young to be getting any male-specific feathering. And tails have very little to do with sexing them as it will be months before he gets a tail like a rooster.

You can always count on solid GIF's from @ColtHandorf

I agree with all this, and would wager both mystery chicks have a high likelihood of being pullets, but too early to tell. Looks like a fibro EE or another type of hybrid color layer.

For future reference, what is really good practice is to take note of ALL of the breeds available when you are picking out your chicks. This way even if you don't get what is labeled, you'll be able to easily narrow it down. We don't have a TSC in my region, but my hours on BYC tell me they are very sloppy with their chick handling and chicks moving from one bin to another. We have Wilco and Coastal, both of whom lock the tops of the bins so folks can't reach in and mix up chicks.

anyway, there is hope yet - except for the Wyandotte in the back pic. That is a cockerel.

You can always count on solid GIF's from @ColtHandorf

I agree with all this, and would wager both mystery chicks have a high likelihood of being pullets, but too early to tell. Looks like a fibro EE or another type of hybrid color layer.

For future reference, what is really good practice is to take note of ALL of the breeds available when you are picking out your chicks. This way even if you don't get what is labeled, you'll be able to easily narrow it down. We don't have a TSC in my region, but my hours on BYC tell me they are very sloppy with their chick handling and chicks moving from one bin to another. We have Wilco and Coastal, both of whom lock the tops of the bins so folks can't reach in and mix up chicks.

anyway, there is hope yet - except for the Wyandotte in the back pic. That is a cockerel.
I wish I would have taken note of what they had, all I remember is cuckoo marans which is what they said my grey chicks were, wyandottes, and calico princess. Possibly black sex linked? I didn't know at the time that this was a common issue with them 🤦‍♀️ But all of their chicks are in bins surrounded by a closed in chain link fence and door, so you can't reach in or go inside only those who work there have access.

I wish I would have taken note of what they had, all I remember is cuckoo marans which is what they said my grey chicks were, wyandottes, and calico princess. Possibly black sex linked? I didn't know at the time that this was a common issue with them 🤦‍♀️ But all of their chicks are in bins surrounded by a closed in chain link fence and door, so you can't reach in or go inside only those who work there have access.
Interesting.

If you are really determined I'm sure you can go back to the store and see what their delivery schedule was when you got them.

Interesting.

If you are really determined I'm sure you can go back to the store and see what their delivery schedule was when you got them.
I may actually do that because it is making me a little crazy 😅 I want to know what they are so I know what to expect with egg laying, temperament, sexing, etc. But from what I've read and seen, they definitely are not cuckoo marans. Nothing about them other than having grey feathers is consistent with cuckoo marans lol

The fence around the bins is new this year! In years past it was a free for all! You'd go in there to see parentless children playing chicken swap so there was no telling what you'd come home with! I think the locked fence this year will help a lot with this and hopefully it will improve their quality control.
I ordered several sexed chicks from them through the TSC website this year and so far, so good. They use Hoover Hatchery (as mentioned above), BUT Hoover has a 10 chick min through the TSC site (15 on their own site), AND only claims a 95% accuracy on sexed chicks. They supply the stores so that's probably the more likely cause of your troubles than anything! You got some of the 5%.
Although, I've heard from other ppl to hold on to your wyandottes bc they are deceptive and hard to sex so you might just wait it out to see what happens! Good luck!

The fence around the bins is new this year! In years past it was a free for all! You'd go in there to see parentless children playing chicken swap so there was no telling what you'd come home with! I think the locked fence this year will help a lot with this and hopefully it will improve their quality control.
I ordered several sexed chicks from them through the TSC website this year and so far, so good. They use Hoover Hatchery (as mentioned above), BUT Hoover has a 10 chick min through the TSC site (15 on their own site), AND only claims a 95% accuracy on sexed chicks. They supply the stores so that's probably the more likely cause of your troubles than anything! You got some of the 5%.
Although, I've heard from other ppl to hold on to your wyandottes bc they are deceptive and hard to sex so you might just wait it out to see what happens! Good luck!
That's good to know! Is it likely the grey chick could be a mixed breed do you think?

Back
Top Bottom