Please tell me its impossible!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Oct 13, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    My humidity has been between 65% and 70% since the first egg pipped and I have not opened the lid at all, not even once, so please tell me that it is impossible for the little guys to get shrink wrapped [​IMG] I am just being a nervous nelly as I have 4 pips and 2 zipped and to start with they were really active and now they have come to a screeching halt. I know they have to rest etc, but the 2 that have zipped - the membraine looks still very intact with only a few slits here and there and I'm stressing that it is too tough or dry for them to break through. [​IMG]

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I wouldn't like to confidently state that it's totally impossible, cause that's just tempting fate to prove otherwise, but I'd think it was extremely unlikely. Like, seriously unlikely. As long as your hygrometer's accurate, everything should be fine. How long ago did the first one pip? I have an egg that pipped about 16 hours ago; it's hardly made any progress at all (just 1cm of a zip!) but I'm not worrying yet. Try to calm down and just trust in them to come out in their own good time.

3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi!
    I had a problem with the Incubation being to low on my second hatch and it made the membranes tuff! They were able to get out but I would watch them carefully!!! My first hatch I lost three that I think would have been perfectly healthy if I helped! I know you really shouldn't help at all but if they can pip and start to zip I think they deserve a chance!

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Sorry for the double post!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Your humidity I think is perfect. Sometimes they can take 24 hrs or more from pip to hatch. I let them go at least 24 hrs then if I need to I will carefully pick off the shell around the area the chick would normally zip without tearing the membrane and with a Q-tip or my finger I moisten the membrane where I picked off the shell then wrap the egg in a warm moist towel and put it back into the incubator. After a while if the chick doesn't hatch then I help it. If I see any blood I stop and immediately but the egg back into the incubator for a while longer. Then if the egg doesn't hatch I help it out. Sometimes they die but sometimes they live.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by