1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please tell me it's possible!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickensioux, Oct 18, 2011.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have 22 hens and 1 roo. I adopted a young chicken from the Carolina Waterfowl rescue and it appears to be maturing into a roo. Is it possible that once he matures that he and my other roo can live together? They will have 22 hens among them, they are in a very large area, so there is plenty of space for all. Does anyone have more than one roo and they get along?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Last summer I had 3 roos in with my 17 hens. Never a problem. They didn't all stay in the coop together. One roo and 9 of the hens roosted in the barn, the other 2 roos and the rest of the hens were in the coop at night. They all free ranged together, and there were a couple of squabbles, but basically all of the roos had their own hens that followed them around. I think with the number of hens you have, and the space, that's what will happen with your flock. The roosters will probably have some issues at first, but they'll work things out. It's good that they have plenty of room. When mine were all out free ranging, each group had their own area where they hung out.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Of course it's possible! If they are fighting, than maybe not.. But with that many hens, you should be okay. I have two roos and 10 girls. They all get along splendidly! But my second rooster is only 4 months old, so let's just hope he stays as sweet as he is. (BR) my other roo is a silkie.. He won't put up a fight. I need a protecting rooster! [​IMG]

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I hope they will get along. The new roo is only about 4 mos. old and is a barred rock, the other is 2 yrs. and is a barred rock cochin. I do not want to rehome the new one, I love it!

5. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three roos right now. My RIR roo was the alpha male and always has been until a few days ago when my BR roo decided he wanted the position. He has been bullying Red and chasing him off. I am particularly fond of watching this happen because Red was a BIG bully and even tried to attack us. Watching him get dethroned is giving me great enjoyment! [​IMG] We have a younger Australorp roo who hasn't even crowed yet... time will tell.

Yes, they can live together and once pecking order is established, get along just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by