Please tell me my favorite BR chick is a pullet.......

If it IS a pure bred barred rock, then it's a girl, more than likely. The barring on a male is closer together - giving them a brighter/whiter appearance.

None of my BR roos I just hatched out back in November had legs that dark at any point.

Also, I don't think the comb development is too much if you got them from the week old bin back on the 28th. That would make them about 3 weeks old, which fits with the size and feather development also.

I vote girl.

Thank you all for replying! I know there are a lot of posts on this forum and it takes time to reply.

My favorite two definitely have more feathers on their backs, mostly black legs, and their comb is more curved and petite than straight.

I'm trying to distance myself from the potential roos, knowing my husband plans to make a meal out of them. My dad was also looking forward to some home grown chicken.

hmm.png

I'm sticking by my pullet predition. I'm going by the dark legs and the wide black in the barring - my baby roos were noticibly whiter than the girls in that the white bars were much wider so they looked more white than the girls.

And my babies all have tiny bumps where the spurs are - even the girls.

Edit to add - if they aren't barred rocks then they are the most barred rock looking 'others' that I've ever seen...
smile.png

Last edited:
Well, maybe I can convince my neighbors to let me keep at least one roo....If it ever turns mean instead of sweet, my husband will say its good to eat.

I think I must have a genetically modified chicken,

Hey, does anyone know when their eyes change to their 'grown up color' ?

Back
Top Bottom