Please tell me not to panic!!

Cornychick

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Sebastian County, AR
Here's the scoop. I have about 30 Bantum chicks, all feather footed varieties that have been outside now for about a month. They are fully feathered and have been doing great until now. Every morning at 7am is when I feed/water them. Yesterday morning, I was called into work and was not able to feed them until 5pm. This has never happenedd before and they were completely out of food and water when I was finally able to tend to them. This morning I found 4 dead bodies. Did they gorge and kill themselves? I don't see any other signs of illness. Will I be going home to more dead babies tonight??

Oh I am so sorry! I can't say what happened though. Mine have run out of food before. They ran out in the morning, my FIL brought some out about dark. They ate and went to sleep. Everyone was fine. I hope someone else can shed some light on it for you.
hugs.gif

Is it possible they were eating spoiled food from the ground? More likely food poisoning than overeating I would think. I've never heard of a chick dying from overeating.

Sorry for your loss.

I wouldnt use antibiotics unless you have sneezing , runny poops or other signs of illness. You said they were acting fine just out of food right? I guess I would wait and see. Maybe just a coincidence or the ones that died were on the bottom of the eating order and just didnt get food? Terri O

It's just scary. I have had no health issues at all with this flock and to walk out there first thing in the morning and have several dead like that makes me panic. Not knowing why is the hard part because now I am sitting here not knowing what to do about it.

Any chance of mites, lice or worms? I know its gross, but even a few can sap the strength of a chick. I don't know what could have happened, just trying to help you guess.

Back
Top Bottom