Please tell me that I'm wrong.

raymarkson

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Georgia
Hello, everyone on the BYC. I have been kind of lurking on the discussion boards here for about a month and informing myself on how to take care of my chickens by reading many, many of the posts here. I must say that this forum is a wealth of information and I am very happy to have found it. Anyway, like I said, I've only been reading and not joining in on the discussions- I never join in on discussions on any of the forums that I like to read and my wife kind of makes fun of me for that. I think that I am one of the last few people of my generation that does not have a facebook account; however, I will sometimes see what my friends are up to because I will look at my wife’s facebook account. Anyway, I decided to join here partly because I wanted to show my wife that I finally joined in on a discussion, but also because I need some help determining the gender of my chickens.

I bought three Dominiques back in April and we asked the gentleman if he could sell us only pullets because we did not want a rooster. At the time these Dominiques were three weeks old and the man said that he could determine their sex with about eighty percent accuracy. We thought those were pretty good odds so we took a chance. Now the chickens are about 15 weeks old and I think that we have three roosters. Please take a look at these pictures and give me your opinions. Thanks!

61046_p1100445.jpg

Caillou, Rosie-Jo, Denise
61046_p1100414.jpg

Denise, Caillou, Rosie-Jo
61046_p1100417.jpg

Caillou
61046_p1100421.jpg

Denise
61046_p1100450.jpg

Caillou

You're wrong! Happy? (well, you asked
tongue.png
)

First welcome to BYC! and second, I'm have barred rocks, so I'm not so sure of yours, but i would say you have at least one roo. Tell tale rooster signs are long neck feathers, long saddle feathers, and longer tail feathers.

how long have they been that red.... as in, did they start to go red at about 6 weeks, or stay pale and then just start to go red this past week or so. If theyve been red for awhile, then ea they are probably roos, but if they just started to go red, then they are probably hens reaching point of lay... 15 weeks is a little early, but not unheard of on here.

Here is my laying Dom

55121_037.jpg

I also think you have 3 roosters because they are all about the same light color when you compare them. One has a more developed tail, but some are just slower to get those noticable tail feathers.

i dont have any of this breed, but i would venture to guess you have a trio of roos
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom