Please Tell Me the Quackerettes Don't Have a Problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Mar 23, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Please say that the topknot isn't a problem. All of them have one more-or-less. This one is the biggest. Some are placed further back, almost on the neck. It just feels fuzzy, not really a knot at all.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That's a crest, what breed of duck are they? i know you can get many breeds done in a crested form i don't know the specifics on how you do it but i think it's adorable! I recall seeing a few day olds like it at a auction last summer.

Here is a page I found..

http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/mincrested.htm

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. OldGuy43

Sorry, should have mentioned that they're Khaki Campbells, just a little over 3 weeks old from Ideal Poultry.

4. OldGuy43

And a tiny, short video that gives you an even better look at it:

5. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    I looked at this link....so cute. I have never seen a duck look like that. They look like they are wearing bonnets!

6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

You have crested KC! lol cute. If you get a drake and decide to breed them then never breed them to another crested or most will not hatch. Just a tip for th future.

7. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    cool i think you got your self a crested khaki. crests are a deformity caused by the sutures on the skull not fusing right. if it was dangerous they would have been dead along time ago.

crests in ducks are a defect in that if they are breed to another with a crest

50% will hatch with crest
    25% with out
    25% will die before hatching because the crest is a deformity and the 25% that never hatch are believed to have the largest crests = there brain is exposed form the sutures never fusing

8. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    pretty much your ducks have a cow lick they are fine

9. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    A crest is not a problem.

A crest is caused by a gap in the skull. A lump of fatty tissue protrudes through the gap and that's what gives the crest. So, technically, a crest is a skull deformity. Despite that, it won't affect the health of your ducklings in any bad way. However you do have to keep an eye out for injuries during mating as the drakes can grab hold of the crest to get a better grip. Just something to watch for.

Some people deliberately breed ducks with crests and there is even a breed of Crested Duck.

The crest is associated with a particular gene. No crested genes = no crest. If a duck has one crested gene it will have a crest. If a duckling has two crested genes it will die in the shell. So bear that in mind if you breed two of your crested ducks together - you will get a lower hatch rate. Some offspring will also be crested and some won't. (edit for typo)

At this stage, though, just relax and enjoy your cute ducklings :)

10. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    yeah that's just a crest. They are fine :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by