Please tell me this isn’t mareks....

EmmaRainboe

Songster
Jul 30, 2020
Bainbridge Island Washington
Possibly, if it was pressing on the sciatic nerve, as said before. Time will tell. I would still do the vitamins, give her some time and see how it goes. If she lays an egg, and then get's better, then you will know. That she is eating and drinking well, are good signs.
If it is an egg how long would I have to wait? She has been like this for a few days, would it be like she was egg bound? She had a stunt in her growth for like 6-8 weeks so she only had wing feathers and was the size of a baby chick when the rest were fully feathered and outside, so she is only like half the size she should be (she's not a bantam). Could her body be trying to produce an egg to big for her body to handle and it is effecting her leg?

microchick

Enabler
Dec 31, 2014
NE Missouri
With my experience with Marek's disease, the one bird that I had with scissor paralysis of it's legs progressed very rapidly from limp to full paralysis in a week. Generally the leg is useless, the toes curl and when the bird lays down, it will position the leg so that it is stretched straight out behind them or in front of them. Soon the other leg will follow giving them the 'scissor' appearance. The bird will eat and drink normally.

If the problem with your bird's leg isn't progressing it leads me to wonder if it hasn't injured itself jumping off a perch or by running around.

EmmaRainboe

Songster
Jul 30, 2020
With my experience with Marek's disease, the one bird that I had with scissor paralysis of it's legs progressed very rapidly from limp to full paralysis in a week. Generally the leg is useless, the toes curl and when the bird lays down, it will position the leg so that it is stretched straight out behind them or in front of them. Soon the other leg will follow giving them the 'scissor' appearance. The bird will eat and drink normally.

If the problem with your bird's leg isn't progressing it leads me to wonder if it hasn't injured itself jumping off a perch or by running around.
She is at the bottom of the pecking order and the night before the night she would have gotten injured she jumped on the top perch with her best friend, I didn't check them the next night so maybe they tried again and the other birds pushed her down because she is at the very bottom of the order. Thanks for sharing your experience! It gives me a little bit of hope!

LaFleche

Crowing
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
If it is an egg how long would I have to wait? She has been like this for a few days, would it be like she was egg bound? She had a stunt in her growth for like 6-8 weeks so she only had wing feathers and was the size of a baby chick when the rest were fully feathered and outside, so she is only like half the size she should be (she's not a bantam). Could her body be trying to produce an egg to big for her body to handle and it is effecting her leg?
When did you last deworm her?

EmmaRainboe

Songster
Jul 30, 2020

So how long did it take for the first leg to go completely paralyzed?

Top Bottom