Please tell me this isn't a roo . . . **UPDATE - it's a roo!**

MiaPia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 30, 2008
Nashville, TN
Stella is my favorite chick - she's my only BO, and a real sweetheart. She always comes running when she hears me coming, and love to sit on my lap or my shoulder. She is the most gentle of all my chicks as well. Her comb, however, is growing in faster and redder than any others (granted, they are all different breeds though.)
These pics were taken today, her one-month old birthday. Please tell me that "she" isn't reallly a "he". I live in the suburbs and would hate to have to give her away.

chickens052.jpg

chickens050.jpg

chickens068.jpg

chickens044.jpg

(Gratuitous cute kid pic
big_smile.png
)
chickens077.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I do have 2 BO chicks that will be 4 weeks tomorrow. They have NO pink in their combs at all, and no wattle growth, either. I wing sexed these as pullets when I got them, and a friend with more wing sexing experience agreed.

I'm interested in hearing what others here say about your's.

I am sorry it looks like a roo in the making to me I hate the whole rooster thing I live in the suburbs too.

Good Luck,
Henry

Oh no!
sad.png
I'm so bummed. I orderd all females from MPC, but I know it's almost impossible to be 100% positive with 1-day olds.
I just can't believe it - s/he is SUCH a sweetheart, and so sweet - loves to be held and petted, doesn't seem to boss the others around.

*sigh*

Is it absolutely a given that you'd have to get rid of it? Is there some kind of local zoning that won't let you keep roos, or are you afraid your neighbors might complain? If your neighbors aren't extremely close, it may not bother them at all. I have no idea if BO roos are any louder/quieter than any other kind, but maybe you can take the chance and see... hopefully it won't be a problem. I hope you get to keep your pretty baby!
smile.png

"don't count your chicks until they hatch" just keep up the great work, keep that chick growing into a nice friendly bird, wait and see...it may turn out even if it is a roo, to be as nice as Fred, who anyone'd love to have as a roo! (Posted under Breed/gender)

Roosters are not specifically banned where we live - the ordinance states: "It is unlawful for any person to keep any animal,
dog, bird or fowl which, by causing frequent or loud
continued noise, disturbs the comfort or repose of any
person in the vicinity."

The houses are pretty close together here - the closest neighbor to the coop is about 100 yards away (but we are behind a privacy fence). I may mention to my neighbors that we *may* have a roo, and to please let me know if they are ever disturbed.

"she" isn't reallly a "he".
Well I told you what you wanted to hear but personally I think it is a cockerel. Wonder what would happen if you started giving him hormone shots?
idunno.gif

I have about 75 out of 100 chicks that need a sex change.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom