1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please tell me this isn't a roo . . . **UPDATE - it's a roo!**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MiaPia, Apr 20, 2008.

1. MiaPia

MiaPia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Stella is my favorite chick - she's my only BO, and a real sweetheart. She always comes running when she hears me coming, and love to sit on my lap or my shoulder. She is the most gentle of all my chicks as well. Her comb, however, is growing in faster and redder than any others (granted, they are all different breeds though.)
    These pics were taken today, her one-month old birthday. Please tell me that "she" isn't reallly a "he". I live in the suburbs and would hate to have to give her away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Gratuitous cute kid pic [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm no expert, but I do have 2 BO chicks that will be 4 weeks tomorrow. They have NO pink in their combs at all, and no wattle growth, either. I wing sexed these as pullets when I got them, and a friend with more wing sexing experience agreed.

I'm interested in hearing what others here say about your's.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am sorry it looks like a roo in the making to me I hate the whole rooster thing I live in the suburbs too.

Good Luck,
    Henry

4. MiaPia

Jan 30, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Oh no! [​IMG] I'm so bummed. I orderd all females from MPC, but I know it's almost impossible to be 100% positive with 1-day olds.
    I just can't believe it - s/he is SUCH a sweetheart, and so sweet - loves to be held and petted, doesn't seem to boss the others around.

*sigh*

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Is it absolutely a given that you'd have to get rid of it? Is there some kind of local zoning that won't let you keep roos, or are you afraid your neighbors might complain? If your neighbors aren't extremely close, it may not bother them at all. I have no idea if BO roos are any louder/quieter than any other kind, but maybe you can take the chance and see... hopefully it won't be a problem. I hope you get to keep your pretty baby! [​IMG]

6. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Buff Orp roos are sweethearts so the friendliness isn't surprising. You definately
    have a roo there. Sorry.

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Keep him/ her just incase ! they can be tricky sometimes

sorry,
    Henry

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

"don't count your chicks until they hatch" just keep up the great work, keep that chick growing into a nice friendly bird, wait and see...it may turn out even if it is a roo, to be as nice as Fred, who anyone'd love to have as a roo! (Posted under Breed/gender)

9. MiaPia

Jan 30, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Roosters are not specifically banned where we live - the ordinance states: "It is unlawful for any person to keep any animal,
    dog, bird or fowl which, by causing frequent or loud
    continued noise, disturbs the comfort or repose of any
    person in the vicinity."

The houses are pretty close together here - the closest neighbor to the coop is about 100 yards away (but we are behind a privacy fence). I may mention to my neighbors that we *may* have a roo, and to please let me know if they are ever disturbed.

10. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    "she" isn't reallly a "he".
    Well I told you what you wanted to hear but personally I think it is a cockerel. Wonder what would happen if you started giving him hormone shots?[​IMG]

I have about 75 out of 100 chicks that need a sex change. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by