Please tutor me to raise Cornish X for my freezer

Thank you all so much for the information. I am wondering if it is too late to get them, meaning the hot weather. My local feedstore is getting one more order of them in next week. They order from some place in Iowa, and said they feel they are the best they have ever had, after experiencing poor quality from other places.

Quote:
That's got to be totally your call
wink.png
. Evidently your feed store knows the season is closing but think there's time for one last batch . The other consideration is if you're processing them yourself the added cooling expence [ they need to be on ice or in a refridgerater for awhile to rest before freezing ] for the processed birds and how well you take the heat of running a scalder . If you freeze your own ice the cost is much lower . There are several hatcheries in IA that may be providing your feedstores chicks , but thats where Schlecht is located .

it seems a lot of hatcheries put their own little twist on the name, but most of the eggs come from one of just a few places. after reading a lot on here from some really knowledgable folks I have come to the conclusion that the cheapest is usally the way they go. I got mine from a local hatchery to avoid the shipping costs and stress on the birds, & they look just like everyone elses from different hatcheries from all across the country.

i've had great luck with hoover. they don't have a wide varity of chickens but the ones they do carry are good. my last yr cornish X got to 8lb in 8 weeks. so i hope to have same luck this yr. most of the ppl i know who have chickens get them from hoovers. but i'm in lowa so.

Quote:
I have ordered from Hoovers for 13 years and like their meat as well as layers. My daughter got Grand Champion Laying Hens (3 in a pen) and one of those hens got Best Bird in the Barn at our County fair 3 years ago. The same 3 won Grand Champion 2 years ago also. The judge was shocked that they were hatchery stock. Oh they were Black Austrolorp.

I found a hatchery that is good in Ohio and ordered from them last year and this year. They are closer and the USPS was having issues with shipping live chicks across the Mississippi River. Anything that went through Chicago was either DOA or died soon after. Hoovers was working with the USPS to straighten it out and sent out another batch for free. ( I am sure it is fixed by now
smile.png
) It just messed the kids up with their meat chickens for the county fair.

Next year I plan on ordering a batch of Black Austrolorps from Hoover's as their BA are the nicest birds I have owned. (And they are pretty!)

I like raising my meat chickens through the summer, I don't need the heat lamp on as much when they are chicks and I can put them in the outdoor pen faster. I raise several batches since I can only raise 40 at a time (which is pushing it for the size of the pen).

Good Luck on your decision!
Sarah

Editted to say: We usually raise out meat chickens til they are 10 pounds or so in 9-10 weeks. We have a family of 7 and the larger bird goes farther
smile.png

Last edited:
Another thought: I have never used a roost for our meat chickens. They enjoy just laying on the ground. They are so talented that they can poop while laying down!
lol.png

Quote:
Totally agree ; Townline does use the actual names of their two strains , MT-DI offers the Ross Ambrose along with other options , and McMurray offers the option of a fast or slower grower but not under the actual developer's names . I used the hatchery closest to me but was the cheapest also ; and it still took 24 hours to travel less than 150 miles
roll.png
. If your happy with the price , your feed store is a good way to go .

Back
Top Bottom