Please watch & advise - sick hen

Jodi Keilman

Songster
5 Years
Jan 24, 2018
Glendale, AZ

At the end of the 30-second video, she makes a loud screach- hoping that could be a clue.
- asping for breath
- She’s molting
- Her vent is dirty
- I have 26 other hens & no visible signs of issues with the rest of flock

would be grateful for any advice or suspected diagnosis so I can help her.

I bought some Equine Safeguard & just ggave her a dose (approx .25 ml).

It does sound like she is gasping for air and gaping. That is usually from a respiratory disease. Gapeworm is pretty rare, but you can give SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or Panacur horse paste 1/4 ml per pound of weight every day for 5 days to treat for gapeworm. Can you see a vet? The sound later was a cough or sneeze. Do you have any antibiotics that would treat a respiratory disease, such as Tylosin, oxytetracycline, or Denagard? Can you see any bubbles in an eye or swelling around the eye?

It would be best to take a fecal sample to a vet and have them look for worm eggs under a microscope.
Are any other birds showing any signs of respiratory symptoms as Eggcessive mentioned?

It would be best to take a fecal sample to a vet and have them look for worm eggs under a microscope.
Are any other birds showing any signs of respiratory symptoms as Eggcessive mentioned?
No other bird has visible issues.
I have no access to a vet that will treat chickens, except a mobile unit that I used for my goat and it’s $300 just for them show up.

No other bird has visible issues.
I have no access to a vet that will treat chickens, except a mobile unit that I used for my goat and it’s $300 just for them show up.
hmm I’m really not sure. I would give her the worming meds if you don’t have access to a vet, but you should also research some respiraTory diseases. If possible I would try to give her some extra attention too. Overall, giving worm meds probably could do something, but getting dosages according to her weight is important. Good luck 🙂

Back
Top Bottom