Please we need your help

yamahondamom

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 16, 2014
Can small birds transmit deadly disease to our backyard chicken? We lost our Gerdy-girl a few weeks back and now another one of our girls is acting similar. The only thing I can think of is the small birds (which invade our chicken shack all the time) is bringing some kind of illness to our girls. I need your help/input please. She is also lethargic. My second thought is that she may have a what looked like a bit of frost bite starting on top of her head, but it's looking a little better since we brought her in the house tonight. We are still really concerned though, she's not herself and we are worried about losing her too. Any feedback would dearly be appreciated

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Check her crop, she may have a crop problem. You can just google crop problems in chickens and there will be info on how to identify that and how to treat.

To your answer on if wild birds can pass something to chickens, there is, it called mareks disease. It can be passed by the wind as well, but your chickens probably don't have it. This is a link to some great info on what its about.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Definatly check the crop thing though. I lost a chicken to crop issues recently.

Good luck!!

It is true that wild birds eating and drinking, and leaving droppings near your chickens can bring in contagious respiratory and other diseases, but they can also be easily brought in on shoes and clothes as well as from newly purchased chickens. How old is your sick chicken, and other than lethargy, what are other symptoms. Diseases such as coccidiosis can cause lethargy, diarrhea, not eating, standing puffed up, and ruffled feathers. Treatment for that is Corid or amprollium. Worms can also cause lethargy--Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good to use.

Can small birds transmit deadly disease to our backyard chicken? We lost our Gerdy-girl a few weeks back and now another one of our girls is acting similar. The only thing I can think of is the small birds (which invade our chicken shack all the time) is bringing some kind of illness to our girls. I need your help/input please. She is also lethargic. My second thought is that she may have a what looked like a bit of frost bite starting on top of her head, but it's looking a little better since we brought her in the house tonight. We are still really concerned though, she's not herself and we are worried about losing her too. Any feedback would dearly be appreciated
Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom