PLESE HELP!!!! Chickens beak got bit off

Pics
So sweet! I was so moved by the entire thread. You and Fuzzy Bum are just incredible! My little hen Ellie is back to herself again. I was getting so stressed out after 6 days of hand feeding. I kept thinking of you two the whole time. Thank you again so much for sharing updates of Fuzzy Bum! I would like to see her featured on the opening page of Backyard Chickens!
wee.gif

As so many others have said, you and Fuzzy Bum are truly an inspiration. Thanks so much for updating and the pictures of Fuzzy Bum- will never get tired of seeing that adorable girl!!! (She would make a great calendar...!)

I found this thread last night and had to stop halfway through (once it looked certain that Fuzzy Bum was going to make it). Her (and your @tmlpike ) story reads like a soap opera or a "can't put it down" kind of book. I couldn't wait to get home from work today to read the rest!

@tmlpike you are truly an amazing young woman! (and your parents are pretty awesome, too!) There are not many people - let alone young people - who have such a strong faith and a strong commitment to a pet/friend. I know it was mentioned in the 400-some posts somewhere, but this is such an incredible story...it should be told! I'm not much of a writer, but this is the kind of story I often see in Guideposts magazine, would it be OK if I made them aware of you and Fuzzy Bum?

God Bless you and Fuzzy Bum, and I hope you're both enjoying spring!

Alison

Last edited:
tmlpike you and your chicken are amazing.

" The amazing Fuzzy Butt's story, told by her amazing owner" the saga of real life faith and friendship

SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR HEN , BUT I BELIEVE YOUR HEN WILL MAKE IT, is it possible to find a good bird vet...near you...?? if not I WOULD KEEP HER DRY, & QUITE & let her rest, & WAIT to try to dab her swollen areas you dont want to start any bleeding , if it was me I would only hand feed her small bite size pieces of cut up bread soaked in warm milk & feed her in my hand, see how that works for her..? so try that and feed her as many times as she wants, you can even make her a soft boiled egg mixed into her bread & milk , but since she is quite a mess right now, with all the swelling, no telling what has happened to her , time will tell , but i would grind up some of her feed in your blender,into a fine mash that should help start her eating again but wait to do that for a few days ,plus i would not try to put any water directly into her mouth just yet , in case she could be numb and she could choke on any liquid , but the bread soaked in milk that should be enough liquid for her for a time ..? you can also offer her warm water in a small cup, see how she does with that , she might be well enough to drink water on her own, i would wait for all the swelling to go down, to apply a cold cloth & try placing it on her wounds, but if she starts fighting you then stop instantly & just let her be in a quite place, she may want to be near you & let her ,see if she will fall asleep ,puncture wounds can really swell badly ,so use your best judgement when you should try to apply a cold cloth to her wounds, im really sorry to hear about your poor HEN , i have BRs and seeing your sweet bird like this just breaks my heart ,so sorry your hen is suffering like this , but then again we all recover, and it takes time to heal stuff up like this, a good thing about your BR is they are the ultimate survival birds, & a tough old breed of bird, im sure yours will heal and be just fine, she will learn how to work around any limitations,i had a tiny rooster ,and he was rolled under a car , had broken bones & all kinds of problems it took me a few months of constant care to heal him up, but he was just fine after a wile , i would also report that dog to the dog warden , sheriff or police most places have laws about dogs attacking farm animals, and so that neighbor could be paying some large fines for what their dog has done , well so good luck {{{ i know you can do this
highfive.gif
. just feel what your bird needs & let that be your guide }} take care Dianna
frow.gif
you can pm me any time , i will always try to help you ,

SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR HEN , BUT I BELIEVE YOUR HEN WILL MAKE IT, is it possible to find a good bird vet...near you...?? if not I WOULD KEEP HER DRY, & QUITE & let her rest, & WAIT to try to dab her swollen areas you dont want to start any bleeding , if it was me I would only hand feed her small bite size pieces of cut up bread soaked in warm milk & feed her in my hand, see how that works for her..? so try that and feed her as many times as she wants, you can even make her a soft boiled egg mixed into her bread & milk , but since she is quite a mess right now, with all the swelling, no telling what has happened to her , time will tell , but i would grind up some of her feed in your blender,into a fine mash that should help start her eating again but wait to do that for a few days ,plus i would not try to put any water directly into her mouth just yet , in case she could be numb and she could choke on any liquid , but the bread soaked in milk that should be enough liquid for her for a time ..? you can also offer her warm water in a small cup, see how she does with that , she might be well enough to drink water on her own, i would wait for all the swelling to go down, to apply a cold cloth & try placing it on her wounds, but if she starts fighting you then stop instantly & just let her be in a quite place, she may want to be near you & let her ,see if she will fall asleep ,puncture wounds can really swell badly ,so use your best judgement when you should try to apply a cold cloth to her wounds, im really sorry to hear about your poor HEN , i have BRs and seeing your sweet bird like this just breaks my heart ,so sorry your hen is suffering like this , but then again we all recover, and it takes time to heal stuff up like this, a good thing about your BR is they are the ultimate survival birds, & a tough old breed of bird, im sure yours will heal and be just fine, she will learn how to work around any limitations,i had a tiny rooster ,and he was rolled under a car , had broken bones & all kinds of problems it took me a few months of constant care to heal him up, but he was just fine after a wile , i would also report that dog to the dog warden , sheriff or police most places have laws about dogs attacking farm animals, and so that neighbor could be paying some large fines for what their dog has done , well so good luck {{{ i know you can do this
highfive.gif
. just feel what your bird needs & let that be your guide }} take care Dianna
frow.gif
you can pm me any time , i will always try to help you ,

Fuzzy Bum not only survived the ordeal with the help of her wonderfully dedicated owner and her parents, but is thriving! She has learned to compensate for her disabilities and is an inspiration for all of us!! Go Fuzzy Bum! We LOVE you!
love.gif

I HOPE & WOUNDER IF HER BEAK WILL GROW OUT ..? years ago my pet goose lost his entire top beak it was ripped right off , but hung on by a thread size piece of skin, my vet could not help , so I crazy glued it back on and a year later it had all grown down & were the original injury was,it had become just a fine line at the bottom of his beak , so i wounder if her beak will grow...? lets pray that it will, good going Alison you did a great job all right like i felt you would...! big hugs for you & your darling Fuzzy Bum,
hugs.gif
thumbsup.gif
best regards Dianna
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom