PLESE HELP!!!! Chickens beak got bit off

Sounds like you did it correctly, but these might help. you or others that don't want to read the other threads.
Peacock pisture from:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

How To Crop Feed Your Bird Diagram

Last edited:
Thank you Kathy!!!! Those pictures tremendously helped! Thanks a billion. Here's a question I have. If I put the tube half way down the esophagus and pushed the formula through the syringe, would that be bad? Or Would the tube have to be directly in the crop?

Update, we tube fed her again this morning. It went better than last night. I am so proud of my girl. However, we are only able to tube feed 2 times a day, as my dad works during the day, and his assistance is required. I don't think she is getting enough food though. I asked my dad to pick up two 60mL syringes. If we fed her two of these in the morning and two at night, would that be enough for her for the day? Is this Exact formula by Kaytee enough on its own to help her heal and recover? Her one eye looks really dented, and her other one is still opened just a crack. She is a trooper, and a tough girl. I know she can get through this. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thank you all so much for your advice <3

Last edited:
Update, we tube fed her again this morning. It went better than last night. I am so proud of my girl. However, we are only able to tube feed 2 times a day, as my dad works during the day, and his assistance is required. I don't think she is getting enough food though. I asked my dad to pick up two 60mL syringes. If we fed her two of these in the morning and two at night, would that be enough for her for the day? Is this Exact formula by Kaytee enough on its own to help her heal and recover? Her one eye looks really dented, and her other one is still opened just a crack. She is a trooper, and a tough girl. I know she can get through this. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thank you all so much for your advice <3
If you can get that much into her without over filling her crop that should be fine. What water to food ratio are you using?

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy!!!! Those pictures tremendously helped! Thanks a billion. Here's a question I have. If I put the tube half way down the esophagus and pushed the formula through the syringe, would that be bad? Or Would the tube have to be directly in the crop?
It works best to insert the tube all the way into the crop, otherwise the food has a tendency to creep back up the esophagus and that's when they can aspirate.

-Kathy

I believe that ratio was 1 part food to either 2 or 3 parts water. I added water until the mixture was smooth enough to go through the tube.

Update!! We got a 60mL syringe and used that one instead of the 10mL one. I gave her about 50mL, and that seemed to make her crop the right fullness. The tube feeding is going a lot better now. We tube feed her in the morning at around 6:40 am, and then again at night 6:45ish pm. Her one eye is opening more now!! I am so proud of Fuzzy Bum! Oh ya, that's another thing. She deserves a better name that shows how strong she is. Fuzzy bum was just a nickname I gave her because she had the fuzziest bum feathers I have ever seen. Any suggestions on a new name? God has got her this far, He's not going to stop :) thank you all So much for your advice and prayers. I could never thank you enough. If it wasn't for you guys, I never would have done this. May God bless you all! <3

Update!! We got a 60mL syringe and used that one instead of the 10mL one. I gave her about 50mL, and that seemed to make her crop the right fullness. The tube feeding is going a lot better now. We tube feed her in the morning at around 6:40 am, and then again at night 6:45ish pm. Her one eye is opening more now!! I am so proud of Fuzzy Bum! Oh ya, that's another thing. She deserves a better name that shows how strong she is. Fuzzy bum was just a nickname I gave her because she had the fuzziest bum feathers I have ever seen. Any suggestions on a new name? God has got her this far, He's not going to stop
smile.png
thank you all So much for your advice and prayers. I could never thank you enough. If it wasn't for you guys, I never would have done this. May God bless you all! <3
I'm glad she's doing better.
smile.png
I'm not good at thinking of names, but maybe something like Lucky, Miracle, or Star.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom