Plexiglass for coop windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AlienChick, Nov 4, 2011.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Are any of you using plexiglass for your coop windows and do you have photos?

I just built a little bantam coop and want to put some plexiglass "windows" in it to add some light.

I'm trying to figure out HOW to attach it.

thx

[​IMG]

2. snozzleberry

snozzleberry Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    pics coming in a couple of minutes

3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I have plexiglass and they are fine.

ETA:
    We screwed "frame" boards to the outside of the coop and slid the sheet of plexiglass into the grooves.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Chicken Man Dan

Chicken Man Dan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    Suburban Ontario
    Plexi is good but it can crack quite easily when drilling or cutting. If its thin enough use a p-cutter to score it, then snap the piece. When drilling take it slow (no more than 1200rpm) and make sure the shavings don't melt and bind on your bit.

Also, it does scratch quite easily, so make sure the chickens aren't going to be pecking at it.

Dan

5. snozzleberry

May 4, 2011
    Hi there,
    I used plexiglass for my coop windows. It was a great choice and relatively easy to do.
    There are only a couple of cons, but they are minor and the pros far outweigh them.
    1) Plexiglass is a little difficult to cut. It is easy to mess up and break it or slice through the area you wish to be clear.
    2) The first week in the coop my chickens would fly at the window. Maybe they thought they could get out or saw their reflections and thought they were other birds.
    Whatever the case, no one was hurt and they learned quikly that their efforts were in vain.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. snozzleberry

May 4, 2011
    Let me know if you need more info.

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Plexiglass works great. Bought and had mine cut to size at Lowe's.

8. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I have plexiglass in my coop door and I attach them to the rabbit hutch in the winter too.

Yes - drill VERY slowly with almost no pressure because it cracks easily.

I also have fastened it my hammering long nail into the side of the walls, 1/2 way sticking out. Then they are bent so I can turn the nail with my fingers. Turn the nails toward the plexiglass to hold it in place.

9. ridgewood chickens

ridgewood chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Monadnock Region, NH
    I used plexi for my coop windows, wouldn't even consider using anything else - relatively easy to work with and safer than regular glass.

10. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I used some plexi for 2 of my windows, cut to fit opening, framed outside, put in place and used 1/1 strips to frame inside. I also put silicone around edges before adding the interior trim to secure and eliminate drafts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by