Pls help me figure out how to 'cure' my transgendered hen - or else I have to cull :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Sep 14, 2012.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    This is the oddest situation ever. I'll try to make it short. I had 3 hens - all 3 years old. Two died unexpectedly, leaving me with one hen. At this point I had 3 chicks in the brooder and I was very worried about my one remaining hen (a BR named Maggie) being lonely out in the coop. After two days of being alone, she started to crow like a rooster every morning. Like a full-out-OMG-rooster crow that starts at about sunrise and continues on and off for about 2-3 hours afterward. I should state that my other 2 hens died from EYP and Maggie hasn't layed an egg in about 8 months now, so I assume she may have also had a bout with EYP and is now sterile.

I moved the chicks out into the coop with Maggie on about her 3rd or 4th day of being alone, but kept them separate by building a little "nursery" for them under the poop board. The idea was if she had chicken pals, she wouldn't feel so lonely and she''d stop crowing. It didn't work. My chicks are about 9 weeks old now and Maggie is still crowing. It's also important that I admit that I'm not really supposed to have chickens where I live [​IMG]. It's only an HOA bylaw, but we can have horses - not chickens. I wasn't too worried about it bc all the neighbors are cool with my chickens and I've had them 3 1/2 years and they're quiet so no one minds.

Until now.

COOOOOOORRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Every. Single. Morning.

for hours.

It's insane.

I don't want to get busted by the HOA (who honestly never cared) b/c my "rooster" annoys them and my adorable little chicks will have to go. I'd be heart-broken.

So I started this ridiculous routine of taking the chicks out of the "nursery" and putting them in the coop at night and putting Maggie in the nursery. This stopped her crowing for about 4 mornings. I was ecstatic!! Then 2 days ago, she started crowing in the morning from the nursery box. Yes, it really is just as loud.

At this point, I don't know that I have any choice but to have her euthanized. I'm not a chicken farmer. I'm a chicken lover with pet chickens. I have done everything in my power to keep my chickens healthy and happy and I don't agree with euthanizing an animal just because it has become a pain - BUT - she isn't re-homeable... Can you imagine me asking around to see if anyone would like a sterile transgendered hen who thinks she's a rooster and crows all morning??? Not exactly got people banging down my door to give her a home.

I feel horrible about this, but I'm out of options. Coming on here is my last effort before I call the vet and make the one-way trip [​IMG]

Does anyone have any advice for me???

Thanks in advance.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

If you can get 'her' here she can stay here, the real roosters here will end that behavior in her.

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
  4. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    Thanks FireTigeris - but I'm not sure I'll be anywhere near Jax anytime soon :(

janinepeters - interesting idea... but it's not local to me.

I get soooo sad whenever I think I'll have to have her put down. I feel like I let her down.... but it's not fair to the neighbors (and us) to have her crowing at top volume for hours every morning 7 days a week. [​IMG]

5. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry. :(

6. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    Try posting in the BST threads. Put her there for free. I am sure someone would be glad to rehome her for you. There are alot of chicken-as-pet-lovers here. When I started with chickens, I said that I wanted them for eggs and for meat. So far nothing of either. I get 1 egg from a hen that I rehomed, (and I hardly get any from her, she likes to go broody. started again today.) but as far as meat goes, I dont think me or my husband has the heart. I have one with cross beak that i cant even bring myself to trim it. I am so afraid that i will make her bleed. Anywho...... I am sure there is someone out there willing to take her and be her chicken mama, and will take excellent care of her. you could even try Craigslist if you want. or other trusted sites.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Perhaps you can work out a way to meet part way, the both of you? If you are truly extremely concerned about your hen, you need to find a way to rehome her to someone who can "manage" the situation...if you don't, you'll feel badly about this for a very long time, I fear! Best of luck! [​IMG]

I've had hens crow a few times in past years.....If they do not have a male in the flock, it's common, and nothing to worry about, so - at least - don't worry that she's ill or anything.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It's also possible she may knock it off when she has friends again, especially if one of them should turn out to be more dominant than her. Or she may take over as boss hen for the new flock and continue to crow, I have one that did just that but her crowing is only for a very short time each morning.

9. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

What about CL...maybe find someone getting rid of a 'spent' hen that you could home and give confused henny a new friend?

10. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    yeah for real clist. honestly i would find it hard to believe you couldnt find one if not a few hens. Speaking of I just bought 6 black copper marins & a breeding pair of black astralorps off clist. 10 bucks a bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by