plse explain raising chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seminolewind, Sep 23, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If a hen has eggs, sits on them, hatches them in the coop, why do we get chics, and keep them with us till they are six weeks old before putting them in the coop? Karen

2. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    In our case it's because we are just starting out and wanted to get the experience of doing this the "hard" way. To see the whole process from start to hatch.

In the future, I'm torn, I like letting nature take it's course, but at the same time, by raising these guys myself, they will bond to me at least a little, which will make raising them more fun, and collecting their eggs easier. So next time, who knows! [​IMG]

The flock we got our eggs from is also a friends and her girls are notoriously bad brooders, so.. We really probably won't have any hens to do our sitting and then raising for us until we can shift the breed stock a little bit.

So that's why we're raising ours. And might be for some time. [​IMG]

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    The reason we don't put chicks in the coop right away (raised without a hen):

The hen keeps her chicks safe, warm & fed. That is all we are trying to do with out her.

She will call them to her when it's time for bed or for a nap, and they will call to her when they are cold. She will let them get under her where it's warm.
    She shows them where to find food, water, etc.

Now, she can't stop them from wandering off & getting lost, eaten by a predator, or drowning in water that is too deep for them. She does her best to protect them with what she can.

When they are not sleeping under her anymore is about 6 weeks of age. Hence the time we would put our chicks into the coop.

Hope this explains for you.

Jean

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Or if you're asking why take chicks away from the hen who has hatched them, when someone answers that question I'd like to know it too.

If my girls hatch the peeps they keep them as long as they're being good Mommas. If I can get away with it I'll actually take chicks I hatched in here to see if one of the hens will take them for me. Most times they do. I even have a rooster that will care for older chicks.

Mortality can be higher doing it that way but I'd rather they were outside where they belong. Not here in the house making a mess and demanding attention. Getting used to the climate controlled conditions.

5. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    Does anyone else have hens with NO mother instinct at all?? We have had these hens for a few months now, and we NEVER have seen an egg being sat on. They lay them and skedaddle. They are always cold to the touch when we collect them. The girls don't sit in the nest boxes any longer than it takes to pop out the egg. I doubt we'd ever get babies from our girls. It will be buying chicks to increase the flock for us.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, that all answers my question. Karen

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Valmom, there are quite a few breeds out there not known for being particularly good broodies. We would need to know more about your birds, age, breed, living arrangements.

Some of us have breeds that would rather set in a nest then do anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by