plucked butt and vent out

cressalynn

Chirping
Feb 29, 2020
This lavender orphington is a week. She had pasty butt thanks to bad coastal store purchase... Took care of it for the most part but now her vent is outward and pulsates. And her butt feathers are missing! I saw her pick at them. What do I do??? I don't want her with the other chicks but if I separate her she goes off like a car alarm.

Attachments

• 6F872BEE-14FC-478B-A6EC-DD0E4ADA2C62.jpeg
    6F872BEE-14FC-478B-A6EC-DD0E4ADA2C62.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 18
Hello!

I had a few chicks like this come in from a hatchery. A couple of them even had torn vents (from sexing I’d guess). I was furious, but they lived fine. The issue persisted for most of their “chick”hood, but once they were grown, the issue was no longer present. They laid just fine, and I never had a picking issue. Recurrent pasty butt was a complication though.

This lavender orphington is a week. She had pasty butt thanks to bad coastal store purchase... Took care of it for the most part but now her vent is outward and pulsates. And her butt feathers are missing! I saw her pick at them. What do I do??? I don't want her with the other chicks but if I separate her she goes off like a car alarm.
Her butt might be a bit sore, why she's picking at it.
Just keep an eye on her. Make sure she drinks.
Might give her a small slice of coconut oil to ease things thru.

A couple of them even had torn vents (from sexing I’d guess)
That's seems extreme. Probably pecked at or a deformity.

I immediately contacted them. I noticed it only in my salmon faverolles, gold campiness, and Sicilian buttercups.

I love the idea, but Vaseline has me kind of “iffy.” Perhaps a water based lubricant (like KY jelly) would work just as well as an oil based?
KY would dry into a nasty mess.
Any oil or ointment will work....just a tiny bit to keep poops from sticking.
If the other chicks are not pecking at it, leave them together.

No Vaseline because chickens don’t like it.
I was just wondering as it’s not supposed to be consumed (if a chick was to peck and eat it). My rationale for KY jelly would be that it dries out, but retains its properties. For example, chicken poo would reactivate it. Also, I could not imagine anything wanting to peck at either Vaseline or KY.

I just got my baby Silkies yesterday and I saw mine has the vent kind of out and it pulsates too 😩 I’m keeping a close eye on it

Attachments

• F5B76610-D070-467F-BEB0-E51776D95653.png
    F5B76610-D070-467F-BEB0-E51776D95653.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom