Plucking ducks - advice needed.

Hummingbird Hollow

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Colorado mountains
So yesterday I butchered my first duck. It took me over an hour to pluck the darn thing. I can usually pluck a chicken in about 15 minutes. In this case I had most of the feathers removed in about 30 minutes and then took another 35 to remove the down. Does anyone have any pointers on how to speed the process? I have 6 more to do and while I may skin one or two, most I want as roasters.

So yesterday I butchered my first duck. It took me over an hour to pluck the darn thing. I can usually pluck a chicken in about 15 minutes. In this case I had most of the feathers removed in about 30 minutes and then took another 35 to remove the down. Does anyone have any pointers on how to speed the process? I have 6 more to do and while I may skin one or two, most I want as roasters.

Ducks have more feathers than a chicken does, and the shafts are stronger to boot. I've seen others use a plucker rather than do it by hand. Have you asked this in the meat birds sub-forum? They'd probably know better than I, I've only processed chickens and even then I haven't done so since I was a teenager. :p

So yesterday I butchered my first duck.  It took me over an hour to pluck the darn thing.  I can usually pluck a chicken in about 15 minutes.  In this case I had most of the feathers removed in about 30 minutes and then took another 35 to remove the down.  Does anyone have any pointers on how to speed the process?  I have 6 more to do and while I may skin one or two, most I want as roasters.
Did you try to dry pluck or wet?

Back
Top Bottom