plucking problem

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oneacre Homestead, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi, I had a problem the other day when I tried to pluck my x rocks. The skin tore. I was dry picking soon after death. This is what I usually do, without problems. Anyone know how to keep the skin from tearing on these big birds?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    We scaled ours in water in a propane turkey fryer and feathers came off pretty easy, skin stayed on.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Either water was too hot or you scalded too long or combination of both. I scald at 145 degrees for 45 seconds when plucking with my Whizbang.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's interesting. Skin shouldn't tear when dry plucking. My only guess is that you were trying to pull too many feathers at the same time.

5. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Agree with Oregon ;) It's like a human scalping (this is going to sound like a weird reference, I've never scalped anyone before just we had this lecture back in the day of welding class) When you try to pull out one or two of your own hairs it's easy right? When you go for an entire cluster, it pulls the scalp up with it. This goes for the bird as well ;) Hope it helps and good luck next time,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by